Insert Media after 10 sec

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
authorleon

Re: Insert Media after 10 sec

Post by authorleon »

after doing some research while eating I have a request.

At this present moment the text file reads time. Which is a bit of a pain to be honest. Because one second is 25 frames.

I was just wondering, if it's not too complicated. Instead of specifying the time of the text file. Can I specify the frame number. Insert on frame 174...

I am just looking at other options as well as because if I specify the frame number then it is absolutely accurate. ???

Also, please do not kill me.

Knowing I can extract the exact FPS I am in in premier or even do a calculation would make the system more accurate:

emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Pffft thats really easy, i mean the workflow actually reads the file and then calculates the value that it read to Frames instead of seconds by just multiplying the read value by the framerate of the input video... So all you need to do is to remove this calculation.
I'll leave this as a little quest for you hehe ... just a little hint, the calculation is done in one of the populate processors
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

This has to be it by LOGICAL Thought.

Going to try!!!!
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

Right.. That is AWESOME!.... I am going to test it under load. 300 clips... Thank you!!! I will be back!!!
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Well done 8-) Note that we use a variable of type FLOAT (number with comma) for reading the stuff from the file but then use another variable of type INT (full numbers, no comma) for the framerate.
Float variables have a prefex "f_" and int "i_". We could actually also use the STRING type ("s_") for all of the stuff but using float and int makes sure that the stuff that you read from text file will actually be a real number.

E.g. you use the $read function to read a file with a number but there is a newline after that number (for no good reason but there is). Now, if you use a ffastrans string variable to store the output of $read, it will actually contain this newline character and therefore later mess up your avisynth script.
If you instead use a variable of type INT, the newline will be ignored and you have just the number that you wanted to read.

Pretty advanced stuff those variable types, not really of interest for you at this point but i wanted to explain why i use f_ i_ and s_ variables in your workflow.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

emcodem wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 pmWell done 8-)
You are too cool!!!!

I have learnt quite a bit actually through this process thanks to you.

working with seconds can be a real pain.

But if you want to be really frame accurate then you should work with frames. I'm amazed by the software.

Why don't you guys have a support licence / or something like that. I know you want to keep an open source and outwardly agree with you. But I would be more than happy to pay for a support licence.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

authorleon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm Why don't you guys have a support licence / or something like that. I know you want to keep an open source and outwardly agree with you. But I would be more than happy to pay for a support licence.
Easy, because any kind of license (we dont really provide the source but still our license is open), implies that you actually do some support. We all have day jobs and enjoy our freedom. Providing a license could put both of it in danger.
Just imagine the price of such a tool if it was sold commercially, then imagine who buys it, then the price and last but not least the pressure on the creator.
Keeping the money out means we play at our very own rules and maximises the fun!
...if you are impressed by what we have now, wait for the 1.2 update :D
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

okay. Instead of a support licence or something like that.

How about you call it a gratitude licence / or gratitude agreement. I can understand this is a niche software.

I too have a day job and I totally understand where you are coming from.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

I have been testing the system and it seems to be working quite well. I do have some follow up question which I am working out.

Thank you again!
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Yeah :D Maybe you want to share your finally working version here?