Can't recognize Pro Res codec?

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
momocampo

Can't recognize Pro Res codec?

Post by momocampo »

Hello,

I discovered something strange but maybe it's normal. I tried to encode a file with Apple Pro Res codec but impossible (to DnXHD 120).
First try folder monitor->Encoder>deliver = no video or audio found in media
Second with fodler monitor->decoder av media>encoder-> deliver = could not recognize content in file.

So, someone knows if ffastrans can encode from Pro res?
Thanks.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Re: Can't recognize Pro Res codec?

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,
i built 2 workflows: encode(XDCAMHD)->deliver AND decoder av media->deliver (both without a watchfolder, i submit files directly in the workflow editor.
Was not able to reproduce the problem with an UHD prores file. Also i never experienced an unsupported prores format when using ffmpeg.
I see 2 options to go on: You migh post the log where we see what ffmpeg has to complain about the file. When using my webui, latest version, you should see the interesting information right below the green highlighted ffmpeg command in the log viewer.
Option 2: upload a sample file

Cheers,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does your workflow work with other files, and does your prores files work with other encoders? Just trying to figure out if you have a prores file of some odd flavor.

-steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem and Steinar

Well, ok I will investigate about my file. To be honest, I don't have to encode pro res file often, I must check if this file is ok (Pro Res HQ HD)but it works with adobe media encoder (pro res to dnxhd 120).
I try again and I will inform you.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

B.
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello,
Well I retry my APPLE PRO RES issue and I found. If the ffastrans rest service is installed, impossible to encode trough the network (nas). If i desinstall rest service, it works well.
With FFASTRANS webinterface it should be same thing but I don't succeed to access at my nas. I edited the admin config but I don't succeed (I posted a message in webinterface post).
Overall, not possible to submit a file through network when rest service is installed.
Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,
looks just like permission issues. After installing the service, did you edit the windows service it and set the correct credentials?
You know, running as application uses the rights of the logged_in windows user, while windows services run as SYSTEM user by default. So either your NAS is configured for EVERYONE rights or you set the credentials in the
windows service.
But take care not to specify a user account that's password will change over time, otherwise the service will continuously lock the user.
service.png
service.png (57.18 KiB) Viewed 8483 times
I know it is a little confusing, but setting ffastrans API as windows service actually causes everything to run as a service - e.g. all encoding jobs run with the credentials of the windows service

cheers,
emcodem
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

hello emcodem,
Thanks for your explanation, but I checked and I have the same settings than you (Local system account).
I tried to check "this account" and configure with administrator log and pass but impossible to start the service after that(All the workstation are on a domain but this is the administrator log and pass for this domain that I tried).
I checked also my NAS rights and it is set to "everyone" with full control.
About you, you succeed to access to a nas?
Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Benjy
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin, sure i had success accessing files as a windows service... i do this very often with different services.
This is very connected to the thread in the Webinterface i just answered. No worries, we will get you there if you just don't give up working on it.
If you still have troubles, please make a drawing from networking perspective about your server, clients and storage.
In case the service does not start when you applied credentials to it, make sure the username you entered is member of the administrators group on the server. Don't use the local administrator at all, create a special user for it, log on with this user to the workstation and check if you can open the network path (without mapping a network drive) without a password promt - as suggested in the webinterface thread.

cheers,
emcodem