Folder monitor skipping files with longer names

Here you can submit bugreports
alampros

Folder monitor skipping files with longer names

Post by alampros »

I'm running into an issue where a folder monitor seems to be skipping over files with names that are longer than ~30 (maybe 32?) chars.

My folder monitor is configured to accept "*.wmv|*.mp4|*.avi|*.mkv|*.m4v" and deny nothing.

Placing a file named "test test test test test test test.mp4" in the folder does not trigger anything, however a file named "test test test.mp4" works fine.

Anyone else run into this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder monitor skipping files with longer names

Post by admin »

Hi alampros and thank you for using FFAStrans :-)

FFAStrans does not have a problem with long names if it does not exceed 256 characters. Some of my test clips hase more than 150 characters and FFAStrans pick them up without any problem. But if the total path length is too long you will run into problems because of Windows system limitations. That's not unique to FFAStrans. How many characters is the path you're monitoring?

This is not to say that it's not a bug but there might be other reasons why your file is not picked up.

-steipal
alampros

Post by alampros »

No, thank YOU for making such a great tool!

I tried moving the watch folder to a very short local path ("C:\vidwatchtest") and ran into the same issues. As soon as i rename the files to something shorter, it picked them up just fine. At first, I thought it was an issue with spaces or other nonstandard characters in the filenames, but it wasn't. Very odd.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I know that renaming a file sometimes help if the monitor does not pick it up but making it shorter or longer should really not make a difference, as long as there the monitor register a change and that the total path length is not too long. FFAStrans has also full unicode support so it will recognize a lot of very strange characters, even chineese ;-)

I have tried to recreate your scenario but FFAStrans picks up the file no matter what. So I would very much apreciate if you try to just remove or add one character to the file and see what happens. Or even try renaming a completely different file to "test test test test test test test.mp4"

-steipal