Delivery folder only picks up first file from image sequence

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
xaryen

Delivery folder only picks up first file from image sequence

Post by xaryen »

Hello,
I've been successfully using ffastrans successfully for a while to organize rendered composites and encode mp4 previews from quicktime movies.
Recently I've tried to use it with image sequences and I've been unable to get it to properly move the whole sequence into the delivery folder.
Currently on 1.4.0.4 and I'm unsure if this is a bug with the delivery processor or a user error. I tried downgrading to 1.3.1 since it appeared other users were able to get image sequences working around that time but no dice.
Looking at the logs the "Image Sequence" processor seems to pick everything up properly but only the first file in the sequence will be copied(or moved) to the destination folder. Currently testing this with only those two nodes (Monitors=>Image Sequence and Deliveries=>Folder).
Attachments
20240309-0037-2563-41e9-c00bc77ae1d1.json
(13.59 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
emcodem

Re: Delivery folder only picks up first file from image sequence

Post by emcodem »

Hey xaryen,
thank you for using FFAStrans and welcome to the Forum!

So i don't think that directly delivering an image sequence was ever possible. You need some processor like encoders between monitoring and delivery.
You said you use it for mp4 encodes, so your actual problem is that you get an mp4 with only 1 frame?

What i see in your json, you have min length set to 0 in the image seq monitor, why is that?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
xaryen

Post by xaryen »

Oh, I wasn't aware of that.
When I tried putting an ffmpeg encoder into the mix earlier it rendered in full length (it had other issues - aspect ratio & eotf - but those were likely just caused by the encoding settings) so my concern right now was specifically the delivery.
At the moment all files get rendered into the same folder then ffastrans sorts them into the correct folder based on the filename and finally renders the mp4 preview, so if sequences cannot be delivered I'll probably just need to come up with an alternate solution, like adjusting the render scripts.
Min length was set to 0 on that run just because I was trying various things the issue persists with more realistic values like 10 etc.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hm i fear you are correct, at least as long as @admin does not have to say anyting about it. From my understanding what image sequence monitoring mainly does is to construct the needed ffmpeg commands when using encoder nodes. It is defintitely not implemented as something that works out of the box everywhere but instead it needs special attention wherever it should be supported. Unfortunately, from what i saw quickly reading the source code the delivery processor is not one of the places that pays special attention to image sequences.

You can potentially still use the image sequence monitor for waiting until the sequence is complete and use a cmd processor to move all files (*) from the source to the destination...

Code: Select all

cmd /C "%s_original_path%\* TARGETDIR"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi xaryen, sorry I'm late to the party.
You're correct about the delivery does not support image sequences as such. You need to regard your image sequence as just a bunch of single files in this regard. So in that sense you just use the folder monitor. Currently there is no plans of making the delivery node image sequence aware. Same goes for other monitors like CanonXF and PanasonicP2. The delivery node has no concept of the resulting output of using these monitors.

-steinar
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

My god, why did i not think about just using a normal folder monitor for copying the files from input to output ^^