Growing files conversion issue

Here you can submit bugreports
Railio

Growing files conversion issue

Post by Railio »

Hello!
Since upgrading to 1.4.0 I am encountering an issue.
I usually exported from Premiere Pro directly into a watchfolder that transwap a XDCAM mxf to a mov. This has worked fine so far, the web interface used to show that the file was growing and at the end of it it would transwap it.
Since the upgrade the conversion starts early and the output is a clip of 17, 18 seconds.

Please let me know if you need more details to troubleshoot this.
Thanks!
emcodem

Re: Growing files conversion issue

Post by emcodem »

Hi,
thats interesting, so i quickly tried to reproduce but the wait until growing finished works for me.
Do you have "check growing once" active in your monitor processor?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
artjuice

Post by artjuice »

report moved to this Topic
Last edited by artjuice on Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Railio

Post by Railio »

emcodem wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:14 pm Hi,
thats interesting, so i quickly tried to reproduce but the wait until growing finished works for me.
Do you have "check growing once" active in your monitor processor?
Hello,
no, the field it is not selected, but so far in the web interface I could see it saying "incoming...", now it goes straight into conversion while the file is written.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

i guess it is something for @admin, he knows best which changes he did but @Railio: check growing is a must for watchfolders, it should be enabled by default... Only in very rare cases you do not want to check if the file is still growing.
Without this option, ffastrans only checks if the copy into watchfolder is done by windows explorer (e.g. write access is blocked). Premiere exports a growing file so you must activate the check growing option.
Railio

Post by Railio »

Thank you,
I will re check version 1.4.0 with the option enabled.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Perfect, please let us know the result. Also please know that "Check Growing:Once" is the setting you want.
Railio

Post by Railio »

Hello,
I updated to 1.4.0 and followed your suggestion, now the file does not appear as "Incoming..." on the Web Interface while it's being written, but once it is completed the conversion starts.
Thank you as always!
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello Railio,
I have the same kind of workflow except i wait for After effect render. The main difficulty is to find the good setting between "check growing file" AND your sleep timer(to set in workflow properties).
If you set a sleep timer too long, your wf will work but you will lose a lot of time. If you set too short, as you said, the file will not be complete.

To sum up, try to set your sleep timer the best possible to avoid losing time but to be sure to process a complete file.
Have fun !
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Honestly i do not see any problem to set the sleep timer to the minimum value of 5 seconds.
If the watched folder is usually empty, i dont even see a problem if it would allow to check every 0.5 seconds (otherwise we would probably cause unneccessary I/O).

However, the file not appearing in the "Incoming" list might be a bug in webinterface, i will take a closer look on the incoming thingie in the next version.

More importantly, we have repeated reports about 1.4 causing troubles with watchfolders and growing as @artjuice tries to tell us above. @admin wants to know and the ffastrans team needs to test it out and try to recreate users problems...