Folder name length limit?

Here you can submit bugreports
silicontrip

Folder name length limit?

Post by silicontrip »

I've encountered a strange issue that Folder Monitor ignores filenames of more than 31 characters. It is monitoring a UNC path of 56 characters.

Files can be manually submitted and will work but are not automatically picked up.

Is there a way to see why Folder Monitor is ignoring these files?

Thanks
Mark
momocampo

Re: Folder name length limit?

Post by momocampo »

Hello Mark,

Well, I tried on the last version of FFAStrans (1.3.1) and it works with a file with 52 charaters (manually submitted and with a watch folder).
I don't think your path could be a problem, especially if file can be submitted manually. You should check your farming setting to see if the host where you tried your file is include or not.
You can also check if your history cache sees your file : in monitor folder, click on history tab and select rebuild history.
Let us know if it helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi silicontrip,

FFAStrans have no inbuilt limits regarding file names. In fact, it should work with paths up to 32768 characters long. At least the old (back in the days) limit of 256 characters should definately not be a problem. What kind of storage are holding your files that should be picket up?

-steinar
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

I actually had a similar issue long time ago, but it wasn't just because of paths, but rather because of the file name length + path combo.
It's a long shot, but it's worth trying, so before you go on with the tests, open regedit, navigate to:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
and make sure that

Code: Select all

LongPathsEnabled
is set to 1 (and if it's not, then set it to 1).
Then reboot and try again.

This should bump the theoretical limit of Windows to what Grandmaster said (i.e 32768).