Growing Files Processing Too Early

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
graham728

Growing Files Processing Too Early

Post by graham728 »

Hi,

I've noticed FFAStrans is trying to pick up files that are copying to a watch folder before the file has fully copied. The result being FFAStrans can't process the file as it's not complete.

I have 'Check for growing files' set to 'once' and 'sleep timer' set to 90.

Not sure if these are the correct settings? I was copying a 4GB file from a Mac to the watch folder which took 2/3mins over a 1GB connection. FFAStrans picked up the file before it has finished copying.

I've included screenshots below of my current settings.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (45.38 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
2.png
2.png (12.73 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
FranceBB

Re: Growing Files Processing Too Early

Post by FranceBB »

You could try increasing the sleep timer to something much higher than your current 90 seconds setting and change the "Check growing files" from "once" to "continuously".

Just to confirm something: can you try to copy the same file with the same settings using a Windows machine instead of a Mac and see if the same issue occurs?
My guess is that Windows will properly lock the file while it's being copied to the SMB Share and therefore it won't cause this issue, regardless of the watchfolder's settings.
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hi Graham,
LIke said FranceBB, if you are sure 4gb will be the biggest size of your files and if you know it will take 3 min max, set your sleep timer to 240 and it's gonna be good.
It will not very optimized workflow cause you will wait 4 minutes even for a small file.

Second way is to localize file, not sure it could be better solution cause if "localize file" is faster than your original copy, the file will not be able to be completely copied but try to let your sleep timer on 90 and see xhat's going on.

Tell us if it works ;)

Cheers.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

An addition to what my friends above said:
FFAStrans only checks if the file can be opened for "reading" (there is no setting for this, it is always done) and "growing once" forces it to check additionally if the file size changed after 1 "sleep timer" period.

As there is no "documented, standardized way" how growing files have to be written or locked "properly", one can never say that the writing process does something wrong, it all depends on the usecase and needs. E.g. it is acutally a good thing if you can read the file while it's being written because this way allows "growing" processing workflows.

From my perspective the real oddity here is that "once setting" is not working for you, it means file size does not update obviously (from the perspective of ffastrans host). If you watch a growing file in windows explorer, do you see the size being updated constantly?

Anyway, an optional check for "write" in the monitor processor is not yet built in, so what you can do is to have a processor doing it for you.
https://ffastrans.com/frm/forum/viewtop ... t=10#p6609

Alternatively depending on your storage, you can maybe change the lock behaviour, i believe e.g. on Netapp the feature was called oplocks.
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?