DNXHR bit depth 10 vs. 12

Here you can submit bugreports
Richyy

DNXHR bit depth 10 vs. 12

Post by Richyy »

I quite extensively use your excellent software. Some colleagues of mine presented me with a question I can not answer correctly. In one of the workflows we are creating DNXHR 444 UHD from ffv-1. These file seems to be 10 bit while the Avid specificatons say that HQX and 444 are 12 bit. Could you please shed some light on this topic. DaVinci Resolve exported DNXHR 444 seems to be 12 bit.

There is an other issue we face, but that is much more complicated, it concerns some metadata (clipname) in the mxf files which are different between Avid created and FFaStrans created mxf files and breaks the Avid-DaVinci Resolve-Avid AAF roundtrip. I could provide you with detailed information with help from one of our editors if you are willing to look into it.

Best regards,

Richard
Ghtais

Re: DNXHR bit depth 10 vs. 12

Post by Ghtais »

Hi Richyy

for your second question, you should have a look at this thread : https://ffastrans.com/frm/forum/viewtop ... 5892#p5892 I show some settings with media composer but it works great with Davinci.
Relink only need correct name and timecode.

Bye
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Richyy,

to your first question, unfortunately ffmpeg don't support 12 bit in dnxh* encoders. There is a feature request open for ffmpeg to do this but i fear unless someone is willing to hire a dev for it, it will stay unsupported.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/7280
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Richy,

The DNXHR specs for HQX and 444 allow both 10 and 12 bit, so in that sense we're in the clear. But of course it would be nice to also allow 12 bit. However, as @emcodem points out, it might be difficult to do without paying someone to implement it.

-steinar
Richyy

Post by Richyy »

Thanks for the replys.

I will definitely go over the DaVinci workflow, when I have the time.

I am a bit ashamed, I could have found out about the ffmpeg dnxhr limitation by myself, if I had the time, because supporting home office and remote access for 60+ editors is a pain on the....

Thanks for your kind help.

Richard Lenkey