1.1.0.2 Stuck on "Reading source media properties..."

Here you can submit bugreports
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1.1.0.2 Stuck on "Reading source media properties..."

Post by admin »

Hi dbelancic,

It looks like there is a problem with redirecting from stdout. Try the code below (same as from emcodem) but with redirection

Code: Select all

"E:\Apps\FFAStrans1.1.0.2\Processors\MediaInfo\mediainfo.exe" -f "S:\YOURSOURCFOLDERS\YOURSORUCEFILE.mov" --Output=JSON > "S:\some\output\path\mediainfo.txt"
Preferably the "S:\some\output\path\mediainfo.txt" should be your FFAStrans work folder.

-steinar
dbelancic

Post by dbelancic »

The code works even with the redirect, I also tried putting everything on C: as suggested and had no difference.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Ok, so what we already know is that here is our error: when the program executes the mediainfo commandline that steinar wrote, the output file is not created. When you execute manually, it is created. Typically only antivirus or windows DEP can influence here.

I created a patched version of processors.a3x for you, it adds more logging. It would be really cool if you help us find out whats your issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YKxx3J ... sp=sharing

Please download this and rename the existing processors.a3x (in Processors folder), insert this new one. Then again, submit a file to a job, open the "log folder" and send me the full log (after cancelling the job) please. No need to wait 5 minutes, just wait about 30 seconds or such.
I inserted log lines like "Executing Mediainfo ..." and "Mediainfo PID:"...
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
dbelancic

Post by dbelancic »

Here are the logs

I tried without antivirus and it's the same thing.
20201227-1716-4960-3faa-331f510468bd.rar
(100.19 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Ah again just perfect, i believe i now know whats going on.
If you open a cmd prompt and type this

echo %comspec%
it should return C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

But i believe it will return empty on your system. If that is so, please set the variable system wide, e.g. using this commandline:

setx ComSpec "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"
I believe you dont even need to restart ffastrans but the next submitted job should work as expected.

The environment variable comspec should be there after windows is installed, i can only guess that in your case some software you installed did overwrite or delete it (but thats only a shot in the dark of course). If you know how it comes that the comspec var is unset for you, please let us know, if not... well, never mind :D
dbelancic

Post by dbelancic »

That did it, thank you very much! :D

I have no idea what happened to the variable, especially because when I used the echo command I got the return.
But then I checked the variables (both in cmd and GUI) and it wasn't there so I just added it and now everything works.

Thank you once again, this was one of the best troubleshooting experiences I had :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi, dbelancic

I'm glad it worked out for you :-) Honestly, I've never seen this issue before and the variable is actually a part of the OS. So why it's gone is beyond me. Anyway, this is a sort of edge case it's very difficult to code around. But it was a nice experience also for us to see that this sort of things can happen. Hope you have lots of fun with FFAStrans from now on and never hesitate to report any bugs or anomalies. We take that stuff very seriously.

-steinar
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

...and i am happy that you were so cooperative, only this way it was possible to solve this. You seem to be a smart guy, happy to have you here and hope to hear from you from time to time :-D