Deploy Workflows over multiple instances

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
novalis

Deploy Workflows over multiple instances

Post by novalis »

Hey everyone,

we need to deploy the same workflow on multiple machines, that do local transcoding. So they all run independently but use the same workflows. I wonder if there is a besser way (which means scriptable way) than to export/import them over the gui. I saw that there are two locations for workflow-data in the install locations.
\Processors\configs\workflows
\Processors\db\configs\workflows

Could I just add files to these locations to add workflows? Or to one of them?
Thanks for your help and best wishes
Lukas
emcodem

Re: Deploy Workflows over multiple instances

Post by emcodem »

Hi Lukas,
\Processors\configs\workflows is an old location that was used in 9.4, it is not used anymore.

You can safely just copy the .json files from and to the folder \Processors\db\configs\workflows. If you have Watchfolder Processors in your workflows, you might want to use the API "Change workflow state" to stop an existing workflow before you overwrite it and "start" it again after overwriting the workflow json file.
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
novalis

Post by novalis »

thanks a lot. I'll try that.
As a follow up: is it possible to do the database ans service update from the commandline? So that I would not have to start ffastrans manually on every machine? Same goes for a fresh installation and the service installation
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi novalis,

I'm afraid there is no inbuilt command line option for updating the service but there is for installing and removing:

-install_service = Install service (and remove old if existing)
-remove_service = Uninstall the service

Other command line switches:

-shutdown = Close all FFAStrans service/application instances on local or farm. PS: Use with care ;-)
-passive = Run FFAStrans Workflow Manager in passive mode. This means no active part of any processing.
-monitor = Start the inbuilt monitor application
-convert = Update old 0.9.x database to 1.x+

That's about it. I will look at the option for updating service from command line.

-steinar