iPhone MOV right side up on PC / exported upside down

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
authorleon

iPhone MOV right side up on PC / exported upside down

Post by authorleon »

Hello all,

I am not sure if this has happened to anyone but when I use a video from my iPhone and process it through FFAStrans. The video is upside down.

When I play the MOV file on the PC. It is the right side up.

The exported video from FFAStrans shows the video upside down.

Thanks
ThomasM
Site Admin

Re: iPhone MOV right side up on PC / exported upside down

Post by ThomasM »

Hi Authorleon,

what Codecs do you use in that particular workflow?
Any Avi-Synth?
Maybe you can send the Workflow?
What are the settings and Metadata from the Iphone / MOV-File? Did you use an Fim-App (e.g. FilmicPro)?

otherwise I have to look into my crystal ball... ;-)

cheers,
thomas
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

When you take your mobile to shoot horizontally, the bottom MUST be on the right hand side, otherwise you're effectively keeping it the wrong way and the video is recorded upside down. There will be metadata inside the file put there by the phone accelerator that will tell the orientation, so that when you play it the player will interpret those and should use FlipVertical() FlipHorizontal() to display it properly.

Keep in mind that although FFAStrans is able to read those tags and apply the rotation properly, this is done through the filter_builder, which means that if you go through Avisynth first (perhaps with a custom Avisynth Script) and you flagged the "Adapt" tickbox, you might lose this information which might not be passed to the filter_builder.a3x and therefore you end up with the wrong output, while if you use an encoder directly, then it should be passed and interpreted correctly.

Also note that some Avisynth indexers like LWLibavVideoSource() and LSMASHSource() (neither of which are in use in FFAStrans but I feel like I should mention them for completeness) DO NOT modify the source according to the metadata but rather just index the video as is and since there were only clip properties (without frame properties) 'till not very long ago, this info wasn't passed inside the frameserver and was effectively lost.

Anyway, I side with Tom on this one as we need a sample and the workflow, otherwise it's just speculation.
authorleon

Post by authorleon »

First of all thank you gentlemen.

@FranceBB. I think you are absolutely right because I did test the recording. And of course it makes logical sense regarding the meta data. I will provide my workflow. I guess this is something I will have to do because sometimes clients, in fact many times, have no idea when it comes to camera orientation.

Thank you both very much!

I will reply over the weekend.