Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
taner

H.264 H.265 nodes | audio

Post by taner »

Hi Admin Team,

I have a question.
Actually 2 questions.
Once regarding H.265 node and PCM.
Option to set audio codec to PCM (within MOV container) is not available.
Are you planning to add it?

And to the other concerning audio mixdown within both nodes.
Is it possible to mixdown all audio channels of an input file to 1 audio track stereo?
The custom channel mapping is very powerful but I cant see that I could achieve my goal by using it.
I would prefer to avoid A/V decoder.

At the moment I use heavily custom ffmpeg nodes.
But especially the H.264 and H.265 nodes have become so powerful over time, enriched with all needed and fancy options and automatisms that I would like to use them rather than custom ffmpeg nodes.

Best
Taner
admin
Site Admin

Re: H.264 H.265 nodes | audio

Post by admin »

Hi Taner,

Adding PCM support for MOV container in the H.265 node should not be a big problem. I'll add it to the request list.

Then you talk about mixdown. Currently FFAStrans can only do basic mixdown in some scenarios in the Channel Mapper node. Adding this as a generic option for the encoders is a bit of work and not focus right now. If you only want channel mapping then the current implementation should be powerful enough for most needs.

-steinar
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Regarding mixdown,
In the next release, you should be able to actually use the power of the inbuilt encoders and use it for your purpose. E.g. you can then disable encoding and retrieve the calculated afilters, vfilters and the complete ffmpeg cmd in variables. The purpose of this is to allow users to alter the internally calculated ffmpeg lines to their needs.
Not everything will be possible this way but a lot and this should be one of the things
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

In the meantime, if you want to go through Avisynth, here's a workflow with a custom avisynth script that does the job
AudioMixdown.json
(26.73 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
this way you'll still be able to use the built-in encoder, but of course you'll pay the "penalty" of indexing as you have to go through the A/V Decoder.
Screenshot from 2022-10-17 11-42-54.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-17 11-42-54.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
( and just between you and me, I always index every source I get 'cause I always go through Avisynth, so I consider it more than acceptable :P )
( p.s you can ignore all other nodes and just take the Indexing + AudioMixdown nodes )
taner

Post by taner »

Thanks all!

@FrancesBB
Why am I not surprised that our Master Of Avisynth recommends Avisynth? :D
Actually I would always like to full decode my files.
Among other things to benefit more from the internal (and external) filters rather than ffmpeg command stuff.
Luckily FFAStrans delivers the tools for smooth workflows.
I love variables.
And functions.
We need more of it.
We never can't get enough of it.
The world would be a better place if we all would pay more attention to them.
A paradise on earth.
Anyway.
I'm getting off topic.
Avisynth would definitely simplify and enhance workflows and outcome.
Unfortunately in most cases there is a bottleneck called time.
In the past apart from decoding using Avisynth also slowed down the encoding process
I have some workflows where I use the internal and also external filters (if possible x64 if that makes a difference when it comes to speed) but I haven't paid attention whether encoding is generally faster than in the past.
Especially since x64 was added as option within FFAStrans some time ago.

@emcodem
That sounds absolutely great!
We are approaching a paradise on earth
taner

Post by taner »

@emcodem
I wanted to request a feature where one could add custom ffmpeg parameters to some encoding processors.
But as far as I understand the next release would deliver a much more powerful base and my request would be obsolet.
Using existing processor with disabled encoding to retrieve the calculated parameters and having the possibility to alter the command makes me cry with joy.
Oh boy!
If you knew how often I took a glimpse into the FFAStrans generated commands within the job work folder.
Getting all that stuff automatically plus altering them would be fantastic!