Frame conversion or speed up/down?

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
gunnar

Frame conversion or speed up/down?

Post by gunnar »

Hi again,
I thing i am almost ready with amazing workflow on FFAStrans.
There is just only one more that i am wondering about.

And that is the frame rate conversion.
I usually need to deliver files as 25fps and often they come to me originally as 25fps so that is no problem.
But the only time when they are different is they are sometimes originally 24fps but need to be 25fps.
But my experience with frame rate conversion is that it is kind of impossible to convert frame rate and keep the same time without noticeable different. Specially when the video has some camera movement to the side you can so easily see lag once on every second because one frame is missing.

The way i have been doing this before (with Premiere and Adobe Encoder) Is simply speeding every 24fps up to 25fps so the file actually play 1 frame faster. But of caurse when i speed file up the pitch will increase by about 4% and then i have beeen using VTS plugin to correct the pitch.

Can i somehow let FFAStrans do that, speed the file up by one frame and correct the pitch back?
Or... does this frame blending tool do good enought job that 1 frame off or on is not noticeable?

Is it possible to add 1920x1810 25 interlaced preset to the XDCAM-HD encoding node since a lot of TV stations require interlaced and my orginal files are always progressive.

I am so sorry for all the questions but i am just so new with FFAStrans, ffmpeg and avisynth so i dont know where to start. I know so little that i dont even know how to google this :)
If i will manage to create workflow that i can use and delivery files with i will donate to FFAStrans.
taner

Re: Frame conversion or speed up/down?

Post by taner »

Hi Gunnar,

Do you mean 1920x1080? XDCAM-HD-processor provides all available resolutions.

Actually speeding up from 24fps to 25fps is a good idea and I would recommend to do that.
I've seen that you made another post where you have mentioned ffmpeg in combination with sox.
I've played around with workflows containing ffmpeg and sox and demuxing, processing and muxing files together.
Tomorrow I will have a look at it and maybe can provide you with a workflow.
Apart from that you can try out AssumeFPS by AviSynth.
I think it provides the choice processing audio as well but I'm not sure at the moment.
FFAStrans has the ability to integrate AviSynth-filters in your workflows.
Tomorrow I will also have a look at this too.
Sorry but at the moment there is a lot of work to do :)

Frame blending depends on the original footage (as all framerate-conversion-methods).
If your footage does not contain much motion or slower motion than the result would rather look better as just removing or duplicating frames.
But in most cases, my cases, it does not suit.
I always avoid frame blending.

What you can try out too is Motion Interpolation (part of "FPS Converter" in FFAStrans).
This method is pretty much premium class and can be found in any more sophisticated transcoding-tools (and also professional video-editing-programs).
But as the documentation in FFASTrans says Motion Interpolation is very Very VERY slow and could cause strange effects.
For myself I can say that beside of transcoding-speed it delivers in most cases pretty good results.
Other Avisynth-framerate-conversion-filters are in most cases limited or more specialized and/or provide inferior results.

FFMPEG provides also Motion Interpolation (minterpolate or something similar called).
I tried it a couple of times.
Beside of the very very very extreme Extreme EXTREME slow transcoding-speed it delivered bad results.

Taner
taner

Post by taner »

Hello Gunnar,

here is a WeTransfer-Link for you: https://we.tl/t-4qjRtgkU8J
File size it too big to add the zip-file to this post.

The zip-file contains:
- FFAStrans-workflow: 24fps-to-25fps.xml
- AviSynth-plugin-folder: TimeStretch_v258

After unzipping please put the AviSynth-plugin-folder into your FFAStrans-application-folder: \....\Processors\avs_plugins

Import the FFASTrans-workflow.

Add your input-monitor and delivery-monitor to the workflow and try it out.

It speeds up your video and audio by 4% but does not change pitch.

Hope it works well.

Taner
VictorPump

Post by VictorPump »

Hello everyone
Sorry to reopen this topic... I'm very interested in 24 to 25 fps conversion.
Can you reupload the .zip file? [24fps-to-25fps.xml].
I tried to put the TimeStretch_258 in plugin directory, but it doesn't work.
Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi VictorPump, thank you for using FFAStrans and welcome to the forum! :-)

FFAStrans now integrates keeping audio pitch while just setting frame rate with the FPS-conversion filter. You must still transcode but you don't need to use a cusom avisynth script. However, do to a recently found bug with the pitch functions it does not work properly but in a few days a new version 1.2.1 will be released and you're good to go.

-steinar
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

In the meantime, something like this will do for now:

Code: Select all

ResampleAudio(48000)
AssumeFPS(25, 1, true)
SSRC(48000)
But if you wanna check it in a real workflow, you can import this one, remove all the nag and keep the frame-rate conversion part only:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Franc ... 87035.json

Check the box that says "Speed up + Pitch Adj".
Feel free to re-use the conditional logic for all the other kind of frame-rate conversion, I made it open for a reason: so that other people can use it. ;)
Unfortunately, internally the filter_builder will blend every time, which means that if you wanna perform this kind of conversion you gotta go through Avisynth, so at this point you might wanna use the whole conditionals I implemented.

Cheers,
Frank
ArsenioV

Post by ArsenioV »

deleted
Last edited by ArsenioV on Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictorPump

Post by VictorPump »

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate FFAStrans and the community.

My current need is to convert a bunch of 24fps footage obtained from various sources to 25fps.
An automated convert workflow can be a real time saver to me!

Thank you so much again! Vic
Trintadant

Post by Trintadant »

I have not dealt with the frame rate issue for a long time because most of my clients shoot videos at a frequency of 30 frames per second. If I'm not mistaken, you can change the frame rate during the video rendering process. Otherwise, you can always download a frame rate converter. Try to go here and download the Movavi editor. Despite all its ease of use, there is an option to adjust the frame rate when saving a video. I am surprised that some video editors still face a similar problem, despite the abundance of programs.
Last edited by Trintadant on Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

Trintadant wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:39 pm I have not dealt with the frame rate issue for a long time because most of my clients shoot videos at a frequency of 30 frames per second. If I'm not mistaken, you can change the frame rate during the video rendering process. Otherwise, you can always download a frame rate converter.
Hi Trintandant and welcome to the forum.
Although we appreciate users commenting and engaging with each other, you might wanna check the date (if you don't know where it is, it's right next to the name of the person who made the post :) ). The reason why I'm saying this is that although we appreciate your input, this conversation was from Wed Oct 24, 2018, so 2018 and we're now in 2022, so I'm sure the guy who opened the post already solved the issue and he solved it with FFAStrans.
The program will take care of any frame rate conversion for you in a good way including blending etc. The only reason why I suggested a Custom Avisynth Script in this instance was only to provide a Speed-up + Pitch Adjustment rather than the default blending ;)

Cheers and have fun with FFAStrans! :D
Frank