[Solved]Media variable value = 0

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
pandadnap

[Solved]Media variable value = 0

Post by pandadnap »

Hello,

Thank you for making such a great software!

I am trying to create a workflow that need the value of media variables like audio channel, audio stream etc...
It works in my testing computer. However, when I move the workflow to production environment, the value of those variable become 0.
To eliminate any possible error in my workflow, I create a new workflow with just 2 nodes. AV media and print those variable value into a txt file. Unfortunately, still 0.
Wondering if version of Windows matter? my testing computing running latest version win10 while production environment is on Windows Server 2019.
Attached my workflow and the txt output for your reference.

thanks,
Panda
Attachments
VariableTest.txt
(116 Bytes) Downloaded 58 times
Variable Test.json
(2.28 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by pandadnap on Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emcodem

Re: Media variable value = 0

Post by emcodem »

Hey pandadnap,
the windows version should not really matter becaues all the tools we use for analyzing and transcoding are basically portable and do not really use any windows components like directshow and such.
Could you please also upload a full_log.json of a job where the vars are zero?

Thanks!
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
pandadnap

Post by pandadnap »

Hi emcodem,

Thank you for looking into this.
please find the full_log.json attached.

Thanks!
Attachments
full_log.json
(49.79 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Thanks for the log! Unfortunately it is not yet clear to me why this is happening to you. Kind of looks like the A/V decoder has problems with your source file. For a direct solution, it would be really good to have a source file uploaded that causes this issue. Also you can play with the decoding settings of the A/V processor, e.g. use full decode instead of intelligent.
On the other hand i just need to ask: are you aware about what's the A/V decoder is used for (basically only for Avisynth based filters) and are you sure that you need it in your workflow at all?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi pandadnap,

It looks like the ffprobe info is simply missing. Either it's not written properly to the logs or it's not created at all. The latter would explain the behavior. I'm not sure about the reason but I have a feeling it's avisynth related. Maybe there are some dependencies that has slipped us by and usually in the system but not in yours specifically. In that case any encoding after the av decoder will fail so if you please try that and report back. And of course send logs ;-)

-steinar
pandadnap

Post by pandadnap »

Hi emcodem and steinar,

emcodem, you are completely right, av decoder is definitely not required in the workflow I shared here. My whole workflow involve some filters like resize, watermark etc, that' why av decoder is required.

An update. when I submit my video to A/V decoder, var value become 0. However, if the video was submitted to generate txt node, var value are all correct.
I feel the same as what steinar suggested, there are some dependencies are missing from my computer. I ran FFASTRANS on several different computer over last few years, since v.0.9x, never have this problem. And as I mention in my first post, I run the workflow on testing platform, it works without any issue. Only when I copy the whole FFASTRANS folder(including workflow) to production platform, seems there's problem on A/V decoder. I tired all 3 decode setting as well as force 8 bit, x64 avisynth...no luck...

Created an other test workflow with av decode > resize > encode to h264 > delivery. As expected, the process fail at resize.
Workflow, full log attached. My source file can be download from below link.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N69TIx ... sp=sharing

thanks!
Attachments
av_decode_var_test.txt
(172 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
avdecode test.json
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
full_log.json
(81.55 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the feedback, pandadnap

I'm actually suspecting your system. How old is your CPU? Could you post some system info?

-steinar
pandadnap

Post by pandadnap »

hi steinar,

I believe my system is a virtual machine, my IT guy build for me. Not sure how old it is. But I exported the system info. Can I send you a txt file directly?
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

For sharing sensitive data, try with pm.
On an alternative Route we can easily check if there are some DLLs from the System missing, e.g. The Desktop experience Feature not installed or such.

For this, you can download a dependwncy checker:
https://github.com/lucasg/Dependencies/releases

Just copy the folder over to the Server and start the exe that has GUI in its Name. Then drag and drop the avisynth DLL on the gui and the Tool will reveal if DLLs are missing to run avisynth dll. If you do that, maybe just Post a Screenshot of the result :D
pandadnap

Post by pandadnap »

Hi emcodem and steinar,

Problem solved!
End up, there are two different issues lead to the problem.
1. 3 dll from Visual C++ are missing in the system.
2. (I believe this is the root cause) AVX/AVX2 instruction set was not turned on for the VM.

Thank you for all the comment, suggestion and info!