Distributed Processing Workflow and Monitor

Here you can submit bugreports
emcodem

Re: Distributed Processing Workflow and Monitor

Post by emcodem »

@Noqras thats very good to know. Thank you so much for all your efforts in this case!
Did you drive Netapp NAS or SAN? Is there something special/uncommon about your Netapp setup or do you believe it is a setup that typical Netapp users do use thousands of times on this world?
Unfortunately each and every NAS has it's own flaws when it comes to SMB compatibility, some things about concurrent file access handling are not very well standardized and everyone drives it different.
Anyway, steinar has put a lot of effort in order to prevent such erorrs so he might be interested in some insights about the storage that caused those troubles for you....
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
Noqras

Post by Noqras »

Its a fairly standard Netapp NAS setup. I'll give another NAS or my SAN a try, I'm sure that will be fine.

Also, technically, do you think it would be a problem at all to run ffastrans hosted of one of the 2 farm servers such as with a shared network drive on the C drive? I can see how that may be an issue with a large farm, taking up bandwidth with logging and such for the one server but with only 2 farm servers I don't think it would be much of an issue.
FFAStrans 1.2.0
HP DL360p Gen8 - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 - 32GB RAM
2x HP SL230s
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Noqras,

I think having one of the FFAStrans servers as share for the program files is pretty common, even in a farming environment. But as you write, it depends on how large your farm is. I have a farm consisting of 8 servers and one main host which is a virtual server. This works quite well and the host server does not do any transcoding but works as a main API service as well as holding the share.

Anyway, we're looking at the possibility that we should only accept bug reports where the program files resides on a windows shares, but that's not settled yet.

-steinar
Noqras

Post by Noqras »

Thanks for confirming that for me.

It would make sense to only officially support windows shares anyway, as there are so many NAS and SAN setups that that could get a bit ridiculous on bug reporting.

It is working great for me on a windows share anyhow, thank-you so much!
FFAStrans 1.2.0
HP DL360p Gen8 - 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 - 32GB RAM
2x HP SL230s
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 64-bit