Occamy.C Trojan detected in FFAStrans.exe

Here you can submit bugreports
DigitalMetal

Occamy.C Trojan detected in FFAStrans.exe

Post by DigitalMetal »

Hi,

I've just downloaded FFAStrans to try it for the first time and upon unzipping with 7Zip Windows defender popped up with an alert that it had detected a Occamy.C Trojan.
Trojan.PNG
Trojan.PNG (17.39 KiB) Viewed 10352 times
Has anyone else seen this?
I'm rather concerned about trusting it an proceeding any further.

Thanks!
emcodem

Re: Occamy.C Trojan detected in FFAStrans.exe

Post by emcodem »

Hey @DigitalMetal
welcome to the forum and thank you for maybe using ffastrans ;)

This problem shlould be solved in newer versions than 1.0.0, did you try to download the latest 1.0.3?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal »

emcodem wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:40 am Hey @DigitalMetal
welcome to the forum and thank you for maybe using ffastrans ;)

This problem shlould be solved in newer versions than 1.0.0, did you try to download the latest 1.0.3?
Hi Thanks ;)
No I didnt because:
"Please note that the latest main package does not include patch updates. This patch must be applied on top of your 1.0.0 installation."
So how do I install the update when i can't install the 1.0.0 first ?
DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal »

I cant even download the patch for the same reason let alone try and install it, and should i even be trying when they are being flagged as containing trojans??
Trojan2.PNG
Trojan2.PNG (22.14 KiB) Viewed 10334 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi DigitalMetal,

Can you pleas try the attached package and see if this helps?

-steinar
Attachments
FAStrans1.0.0.4_patch_x64.7z
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 816 times
DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal »

Well that one didnt get flagged as a trojan so installed but upon completion and auto launch i got this error
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (130.05 KiB) Viewed 10214 times
Thanks !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But this is just the patch, not the complete installation... Please apply it to you existing FFAStrans folder.

-steinar
DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal »

admin wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:33 am But this is just the patch, not the complete installation... Please apply it to you existing FFAStrans folder.

-steinar
As i said before the Trojan warning was preventing me from installing the base version so i cannot install a patch over the base version as i cannot install the base version in the first place.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, but running just a patch will never work. Are you not able to extract the files in the main package at all? Cause if you do and it just removes some of the same files that works ok in the patch then you should be fine.
Please also remember that false positives is not possible to 100% prevent. The only way do really deal with it is either to create exceptions in what ever antivirus you're using and also to submit files to the vendors so that they can white list the file(s). But these steps might not help on the next update and so one might have to do the same thing all over again with submitting files and creating exceptions.

-steinar
DigitalMetal

Post by DigitalMetal »

Yes i realise running just a patch will not work, that was the point i was trying to make.

I can extract the main package but the .exe gets quarantined so i cant install the main package at all.

This patch's .exe does not get quarantined so are you not able to recompile the fill version with this patch included?

A user is never going to know whether its a false positive or not so will end up not installing at all just to stay safe, whatever you have done with this patch means it does not get detected as a trojan so can you not just recompile with this patch to fix the issue in the main package?

Thanks