Issue between FFastrans service and API

This forum is ONLY for the new FFAStrans 1.0.0 beta versions. Any bug and issue reporting regarding the beta MUST be posted here.
momocampo

Issue between FFastrans service and API

Post by momocampo »

Hello Steinar,

I tried to install FFastrans 1.0.0 as service and install is ok. Then, I installed API service. Each service was well log (service properties).
When I launch API, impossible to see workflows(error in attachments(FFastrans was well online)).
I'm on Win 10- FFastrans 1.0.0 - Last version of API (server.exe july 2019).

I think there is no communication between FFastrans and API because if I submit file in Ffastrans, nothing appears in API :roll: :roll:

Last problem, the API service doesn't start automatically (although the property is set to "automatic").

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

Benjamin
Attachments
FFastrans_issue_api.JPG
FFastrans_issue_api.JPG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
emcodem

Re: Issue between FFastrans service and API

Post by emcodem »

Hey dear Benjamin!
There is one thing you shall not confuse: API and Webinterface are 2 totally different things. The webinterface is a disconnected Program from ffastrans and it needs the API service which is provided by ffastrans to work. In general a software that "serves" something has an API (so a server software like ffastrans) so other, 3rdparty programmers to get information about what the software does and more (like submit jobs).

So, the new ffastrans Version delivers an API which is not understood by the current webinterface, therefore i have to change the webinterface to match the new API.
On a sidenote, what steinar was talking about in the post thats about i join ffastrans as a developer was that i am responsible for taking care about the API part of ffastrans so my webinterface and other programs can communicate with ffastrans properly :-)

Give me some days, you will like the new Webinterface Version 1.0 :-)
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey Encodem,

I'm so sorry, yes I mixed several thing... Please forgive me. And please take your time, really no hurry.
To be honest, I wanted to try with the FFastrans 1.0.0 because the webinterface windows service(windows 7 and windows 10) stops from time to time. I had to create a windows task to restart service every day otherwise no more webinterface the next day. (I think I already told you).
Anyway, thank you very much ;)

Cheers.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Oh, really? The webinterface service stops from time to time? From your previous posts, I thought it is the ffastrans rest api service that stops sometimes for you?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Damn, I think you maybe right, it is the Ffastrans api service that stops...(I'm a bit tired these days... :cry: )
So I created a windows task to restart the api service each day at 06:00 and all work with this.

Sorry for the mistake.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

OK, thanks for the clarification.
So for your problem with the FFastrans service, i am pretty sure it fails because of something special that you do or better that you have in your workflows. My guess is that IF the 1.0 service breaks for you again, it might only break as soon as you do all your workflows with it.

Maybe you can test the 1.0 Version by creating a paralell running installation that has all the workflows imported and you don't install it as a service but run it as application.

Then, when you are at work, you disable all worfklows in 9.4 Version and enable them in 1.0. Before you leave, you disable 1.0 again and enable 9.4.
On the next day, when everything looks fine, let 1.0 run over night and see if it works well.

You got the idea?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey,

I'm ok to try but I have to convert all my 9.4 workflows in 1.0 first. I 'll try after that.
Honestly, the service seems to stop during night. The activity for FFastrans stops about 20h30-21h00 and nothing until 09h00. The service stops between these hours. I have just some dos script (just copy files from-to, at 02:00 am and 04:00 am) and 1 webinterface schedule task (each day at 23:00). Sometime this schedule task doesn't execute : maybe the FFastrans api service is already stops...).
My windows task is at 06:00 am (the APi service restarts).

Ok not very important, it works well with the restart :)

Thanks.

B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Well from my perspective it is one of the most important topics that the services do not just crash or stop. In the end they are designed not to stop and steinar has put lots of efforts to keep then from doing so - even automatic restart if something happens. If that all does not work and the service still breaks, there is something strange going on.
However, there is a big chance that the problem does not exist with 1.0 anymore.

For upgrading the workflows you just need some seconds, i wrote upgrade instructions here :-)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Benjamin, I'm very surprised to read that the API service just stops. This is not normal behavior. We have several FFAStrans installations running as service and they don't just stop. So could you please skip the automatic restart for one night and see if you the next morning can open the URL found under the service configuration? Also, I would like to know how you have set up your installation and whether your monitors also stops working.

-steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello Steinar,

Ok no problem, I will try that and I will do a feedback.
Thanks for help.

Benjamin