AAF processing

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
momocampo

Re: AAF processing

Post by momocampo »

Hey,

Ok done but now I can't connect to your google drive link, I must connect me, strange no? Anyway I connect me and drop the files is aaf-linked folder.
I create timeline jpg too, it will be useful for you to see what kind of sequence is.
Hope it is that you wanted :)
Thanks ;)
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Thanks a lot Benjamin, link updated! The jpg should be very helpful too!
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey,
I upload 2 new files that I had forgot(seq2_2)
;)
Da_K

Post by Da_K »

emcodem wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:12 pm The linked paths in an aaf file contain an absolute path including drive letter/servername and folders.
Is there a need to just change those paths in existing aaf files or does avid not care abput the paths as long as the aaf and files are in the same directory as the aaf itself?

Also, @ghatis @momocampo and all others:
Assumed we can process aaf complex sequence files, but only render the sequence including audio video cuts, no effects... would that be of any use?
...rebuilding effects is the one thing that would never work 100÷ correctly an it would take days or weeks per each single effect to reverse engineer and check out how to do it with ffmpeg, including all possible settings of course.
Afaik you can create an AAF file without any media and only the links, the path matters in this case because you can use the AAF in a Nexis environment?

Example, and a usage i would love to have, you export an AAF from avid (after having rendered everything) and hand it to ffaStrans, thanks to the AAF i can encode a MP4 file or whatever, outside of Avid. I do not need to wait for a slow export..

And a heads up, the 2019 version of Avid that supports mxf1a files is not going to be in production for some time.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

So, regarding "decoding the timeline" of aaf files, i had lots of play but i feel that it will be far too much work to get it done in a stable and reliable way.
The best chance i see is to use the AMT (in case it is able to do this). @ghatis, you said you have good contacts. Can you ask about what your Avid guys think about handing out a copy of AMT for the use in some open source software, e.g. an ffmpeg decode plugin or avisynth source plugin?
It is not needed that we distribute the dll's from AMT along with the open source software; avid customers could also probably get their own copy and just place them in the same folder as the open source binary relies....

I am able and willing to do the integration work but everyone i knew at avid already left the company ^^
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi emcodem

unfortunately I don't have any good contacts at AVID. I'am a simple costumer and I can open tickets when I'am in trouble with the software.
What do you thing about asking to the the AVID community on the forum ? I know that moderators working for AVID are present in this forum, perhaps they can forward the request to developers
I can do this for you but sincerely I'am not native English speaker and I think you can expose your request better than me.
Just tell me if I can help with that.

EDIT : Emcodem, do you have seen this page ? https://developer.avid.com/
For the AMT you have to ask to partners@avid.com
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@ghatis thanks, i'll try to contact them directly :-)
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

I could use some help here, need to create some test sequences to check some stuff.
When creating op1a files from ffastrans, i am not really able to use them in MCP, when drag&drop or link into my bin, it says media is not supported. Other media files like mp4 and op1a mxf work. Can anyone quickly describe the needed steps to import the opatom stuff?
Is OPAtom the most common format for you as Avid users or did this meanwhile change to any other format?
Sometimes it occurs that the same opatom file is accepted by the bin but when loading it says media offline
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello Encodem,
Don't worry I will help you .
You have to drop your files in a folder named "Avid MediaFiles" on a root of a hard drive (or on c:\ if you want to use the local drive).
In this folder, create another folder named "MXF". In MXF folder create a last called "1" then put your files into.
Launch Avid and it will create metadatas.
Enter or create a project and enter in it.
Select "tools" menu and choose "media tool". Select the drive where the files are and check master clips. The avid check all files presents in local drive and show you them. Drag and drop them into a bin and VOILA.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.
B.
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Yes, instead of using mediatool you can drag and drop the metadata file .mdb into your bin and VOILA :D