2 ideas for next releases

Use this forum to request features. Maybe you'll get lucky!
momocampo

2 ideas for next releases

Post by momocampo »

Hello Steinar,

I thinking about 2 ideas which can be useful.
First, I have to save often my different workflows and must to be sure saves are the last one. I wonder if an auto safe feature can be possible. With a scheduler, each night all the workflows will be saved and we will be sure we have the lasts workflows saved.

Second, could it be possible to have possibility to remove the warning when we want to close FFastrans? To be honest, now I use the rest service and I need to check or edit the different workflows quiet often and I always have this message :"Are you sure you want to close FFastrans? etc..."

Than you very much.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Re: 2 ideas for next releases

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,

some Response from my perspective: you can backup your files e.g. using my Scheduler or a Windows scheduled task, it is not a really good idea to add such Kind of Little used Features to the core Software, it would "bloat" the core. The core Software should only do the core functionality.

The second request seems to be extremely custom. Currently the application asks you if you really want to quit in order to make sure you saved all changes etc... If it would not do that, next time you Close the Software and forgot to save your work, you blame the Software that it did not warn you about there is some work that Needs to be saved. So basically your request would automatically lead to a lot more work (which is impossible to maintain) in order to preserve consistency.

Cheers!
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey emcodem,

I'm totally ok to use the scheduler but where I can found the files to save?? When you save your workflows FFastrans makes html files, I don't find any html files into Ffastrans work folders.
About second, FFastrans has already a warning when you want to close a workflow without saving. The warning as I speak about is even when you change absolutely nothing.

;)
B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hmm i have problems to know what you mean with the html files. Aren't all workflows in the /Workflows folder (they are .ini files)?

Second, what i talk about is that the application "does not know" if there were unsaved changes or not and it is most likely nearly impossible to get the required information in 100% consistent way...
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Damn!!! I wrote html but I wanted to write xml...Too stupid I am.
Anyway, ok if I saved .ini files it will be ok?
Thanks.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hmm the .ini files seem to contain anything needed but steinar does not prefer that way to share workflows. I'd like to go safe and summon @steinar to give some comment about this.

Cheers,
emcodem
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FFAStrans got on with the wrong foot by setteling on ini-files. In its early stages and years, this was OK but increased complexity has rendered the ini-approach challenging. The XML-approach for exported workflows is just a pit-stop. The next version will be all JSON. This will make a lot of things easier. And speaking of the next version, 0.9.4.x will be the last version for a while except bug-fixes. No new features will be introduced until 1.0.0 is released. This will probably not happen until Q4 2019.

-steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Thanks for info Steinar., I'm not hurry at all.
I thought it can be useful to give ideas to improve this great software, it's just to help. I hope you understand my message like this Steinar.
Cheers.

Benjamin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, I do Benjamin and I'm grateful that you're helpful! :-)

-steinar