Avid Quicktime Reference files

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
admin
Site Admin

Re: Avid Quicktime Reference files

Post by admin »

Ah, the QT-source was not included in the distribution. Thanks for notifying :-)

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi

I have an issue with QTref file and the AVC-intra processor. It gives me an "No video or audio found in media" error.
The same workflow, with the same Qtref file works fine with DNxHD or H264 processor.
I have tryed to insert an A/V media decoder but it dosen't change anything.
Any idea to help ?

thank you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Ghtais,

Sorry for the late reply. I just tried the QT-worklow with a AVC-intra encoder and it seem do be working just fine in my test. Can you please export and post your workflow?

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hey

thank you for your reply.
Here is my workflow with QTref.
The Qtref file is generated from AVID media composer.
Attachments
NUMERISATION_test.xml
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi there

with the new Patch 0.9.3.2 it works !
thank you steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello Ghtais,

Just to thank you for this great node for quicktime reference, I just use it for a special use and it works great!!
Thank you so much ;)

Cheers.
Benjamin
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi momocampo

Happy to see it helps :)
I'am running it everyday with no issue in an AVID environment.
It works great accept with the AVCintra node witch give some color issue. I don't know if this is a bug in this node or a bug due to QTref
anyway, works great with Dnx and XDcam :)

Bye
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hi,
Ok good to know the limitation but like you I use it to "export" DNxhd or XDcam from an Avid system, really useful to avoid an full export.
Thanks again ;)

Cheers.

B.
Gunther2019

Post by Gunther2019 »

Dear Steinar,

thank you for all your hard work and knowledge you put into that tool!

I currently try to setup ffastrans together with the QTref feature on my avid network for quick preview exports in standard definition (1024x576 / h.264 MP4 files) coming from 1080i50 projects without blocking the avid for the whole render/Export process. Most of it already works quite well but there is one issue with the encoded files:

the encoded h.264 mp4 files playback well but there is always some weird audio glitch / distortion at the end of the file. It sound like it repeats the last audio sample and then sometimes there occurs some loud distortion like white noise. It happens always on the last few frames of the encoded video.

My workflow:
1. I export QTref MOV from avid mediacomposer (version 2018.12) with Wave Audio (1pcm stream stereo 48kHz 24bit 2 channels) which goes into the watchfolder for ffastrans
2.I have the CustomAviSynth script that adds support for QT reference connected to my watchfolder
3. then there comes the h.264 encoder (audio also set to discrete tracks 1 / Total Channels 2 [1 stereo track] / sample rate 48kHz / Bitrate 192 kbits/s)

I only get that distortion at the end of the encoded clips with those files coming from the QTref. When I setup another workflow with only watchfolder->h.264encoder->output and throw in some other source file, maybe a h.264 mp4, then there is no problem with the final audio in the encoded mp4 file.

Does someone has a solution or a hint for me? Are your exported files clean when they come from a QTref source?

And one last thing I was wondering:
we have a mixture of different codecs in our QTref container. Some is DNxHD, some is XDCAMHD and some is XAVC-Intra100. I successfully can transcode this mixture in a QTref with the ffastrans-system but I needed to install two filters from calibratedsoftware / calibrated{Q} (one for decode XDCAMHD and one for decode AVC-Intra). But it seems to me that others here in this thread successfully decoded xdcamhd without that calibrated plugins and if so, could you please tell me how :-) ?

Thank you all and best regards,
Gunther
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi

I'am running the same workflow as you describe here in my office and I never had an issue with the sound.
Before export my QTref from AVID I replace all audio tracks in my sequence with an audio mixdown stereo (don't check "Mixdown audio track" in the avid export setting). you can try it even if I don't thing it solves your issue.
For complex sequence with a lots of effects and video tracks I prefer to do a videomixdown (choose DNX for mixdown, it is faster to encode) to be sure that there is no missing effects or white/black frame in your h264

You're right, if you have XDCam, AVCintra or Dnx in your sequence you must have the right quicktime plugins to decode your stream. Calibrated is ok for XDcam. For Dnx you have the free AVID quicktime plugin.

If you don't want to pay for calibrated, just create a videomixdown Dnx120 of your sequence and you're ok.

Bye