Webinterface

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Webinterface available

Post by admin »

Hi emcodem :-) The web interface is really starting to look great! You have done a very good job! I just have a few comments.

- When distributing the zip-file one should make sure that none of the files in the package will change your personal settings when doing a straight replace of all files. Currently the "database/config" file will zero out user settings and that's no good.
- There are still issues with updating the colors of the "error" and "cancelled" states in the history view.
- I've had some user-comments about the "error" color being to dim. Maybe you should make it more red without being burlesque?
- A progress bar would be nice and would give a more visual representation of the total progress.
- I think the default workflow list should mimic that of the FFAStrans Workflow Manager: "Folders/workflows", "Workflows" in alphabetical order.

Keep up the great work!

-steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

You're right Steinar!! It's an amazing job, I really love it! (hmm the Web interface, not emcodem.. I don't know him enough yet for that :))
Seriously, emcodem, I will prepare a big message with many requests for you. Do I post it here or you prefer a private message?
I must use this Web interface more and more to find the points which can be improve but for example, access to a FFastrans workflow folder (with several workflows) according to the logging user will be useful for me. It would be useful to display only some workflows in particular.
I 'm writing a list and we will see.
Cheers.

Benjamin.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

[/quote]
admin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm - I think the default workflow list should mimic that of the FFAStrans Workflow Manager: "Folders/workflows", "Workflows" in alphabetical order.
Hey steinar, thanks for the comments, i think i understand all of it very well. But one re-quest regarding above: I spent some hours in implementing a tree but i dumped it and replaced it by a grid because all tree javascript components were crap. Having in mind that i will stick to the grid, i see 2 options how to make it more user friendly:
1) make it like the file browser: just one level with a back button that allows selecting "folders" like they were folders on a filesystem
2) just switch the current columns folder and workflowname (so folder is on the left) and sort first by folder and second by workflow name
What do you think would be better? (2 is less effort)
momocampo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 pm access to a FFastrans workflow folder (with several workflows) according to the logging user will be useful for me. It would be useful to display only some workflows in particular.
Hey Benjamin :-)
I did not understand at all what you are imagining with that. [EDIT] forget it, i just recognize you mean the workflow filter PER USER...
It might be good if you can submit a modified screenshot (does not have to look good, just show what you want to see where) for complex stuff. I guess currently it is best if you post all requests here. A compressed list of requirements is definitely best. In case you really spend lots of time and have lots of thoughts to share, i recommend to just create a word document or similar where you write down all your thoughts and create some pictures that show what you are after. Please always have in mind that i have another perspective than you, so make sure what you like also contains some description about your perspective - describe the big picture if neccessary.

Cheers,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hi emcodem,

Sorry for the late reply, a lot of work today...
So, I will send you a drawing of my idea, it will be clearer. I will send another message for my requests but you know, my biggest problem is ...English language. Yes, not so easy for me to explain clearly what I have in my mind in a language I don't master...
I will try to do my best.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benajmin,
no worries, i am not in a hurry... and also no worries about your english, i don't think (at least in this forum) when i don't understand what you want that the problem is a lack of your english, it is more about your perspective... Sometimes you just tend to write stuff out of your head just from your perspective and forget to describe a little around so the opposite has a chance to see the picture you have in your head.
Anyway, if the stuff you want to describe is complex, it would be good if you write a document about it (with modified screenshots) in your native langauge and just submit it as is... these days the translation services do a very good job...

cheers,
emcodem
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

0.9.3.1 is out, change list: https://github.com/haraldjordan78/ffast ... ag/0.9.3.1

Basically it cares about all currently known requests (including my own list) from previous posts (including filtering for workflows per user group), except:
@steinar:
admin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm 1) When distributing the zip-file one should make sure that none of the files in the package will change your personal settings when doing a straight replace of all files. Currently the "database/config" file will zero out user settings and that's no good.
2) There are still issues with updating the colors of the "error" and "cancelled" states in the history view.
Regarding 1, i updated my initial post here and added upgrade instructions. What i currently do is to deliver a set of well prepared example data in the config database. This is intended for supporting first-time users. I am not 100% sure if it is really better to deliver a totally empty config. As long as i dont provide an installer i can't really take care about upgrading and also i am not sure if it will always work to upgrade (but i'll do my best not to break upgrade possibility)

Regarding 2, i was not able to reproduce or find a faulty condition in the code, are you able to give me some more info how to reproduce?

Cheers,
emcodem
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem,

Thanks for this new release. I found some little suggestions :
1/ maybe add a confirmation for save location delete, avoid bad manipulation. Otherwise, great idea to save new location, well done.
2/ Good thing to filter workflows by user group but maybe it could be better to close this folder in webinterface startup(we only see workflows out of a folder and folders). Then, if we click on a folder, the workflows inside appear. (I hope you can understand what I mean).
It allows to avoid this big list of all these workflows and each user can open only the folder that he wants.

Thank you very much.
cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benamin,

good suggestion about confirmation, it is already done (but not yet released).
Did i already mention that i hate trees? They are so 90's style (like windows 95 file browser) and lots of work for developers and users. But as all of you guys won't stop poking me about that topic, was that what you imagine?
I don't like to package releases at the current daytime, but you can test out the stuff here: https://github.com/haraldjordan78/ffast ... .9.3.2.zip
As per new upgrade guide you should just replace the server.exe file ;-)
ffas_fancy.png
ffas_fancy.png (28.06 KiB) Viewed 14216 times

On another topic, i would like to ask: how is your experience with the user and group management, do you have any ideas if this could be made easier but at the same time keep all features it offers? ..keep in mind that the number of possible menu permissions and filters (and other permission items) will grow over time...

Cheers :-)
emcodem
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem,
You are so quick ! Very impressive :)
So, I must admit I am really happy about this release (0.9.3.2). I like the trees...I'm sorry. But maybe you can create an option in configuration to choose the workflows organisation? I'm not alone and maybe I'm the only one to like trees :)
Anyway, thank you very very much for your work, honestly I think it's amazing.
About your question : I work since 20 years in post-production business and I manage an entire place of TV trailers for the second French TV channel. I think I know really well all the video stuff but less the computer stuff (Although I 'm not a beginner).
I asked you these modifications because I know how I want to work but I'm sure some people don't work like me so maybe they want something different (maybe they prefer your previous release with different workflows organisation).
About your webinterface :
1/ The browser in great for me, the locations is perfect and now, we can save a new location without enter in configuration, very good. The add file button is less useful (cause easier to double click) but not disturbing. Created column is very good to catch the last files.
2/ Upload is less useful for me. But it can be interesting in case of large file. I prefer fetch large file to encode safer.
3/ I think the selected window (above workflows selection) could be less large than workflows selection. Yes, I don't select a lot of files together so 1/3(selected window) and 2/3 (workflow selection) could be better.

Well, This what I think but for now, I'm really happy about this webInterface, honestly.

Thanks emcodem.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin, good to know a Little more About you but i have the Feeling you misinterpreted my message slightly ;-) You might need to know that steinar was already picking on that tree topic multiple times as well and i already re-worked this area the 4. time... So yesterday i was a little pissed that i needed to restart that topic again. I hope the tree component that i chose now is not making troubles across the different browsers, i use it the first time so i can't estimate that (in difference to the rest of the interface).

About 2.) uploading is basically something i would expect only in cases when the Input files are small or when the webserver is put in the DMZ, Internet facing. For uploading huge files, using a normal Webbrowser is too dangerous: if the multiple hour Long running upload breaks, you have to start all over again. That is where typically Software like Signiant, Aspera etc.. come in.
About your 3.) you can set the size as you wish and it should be restored, so you see default settings only the first time when opening the first time.

There is one thing you forgot to mention about: in my last post, i was asking for how you feel about the "User management" interface. I think it is a little complex to handle with users, groups and permissions but i cannot imagine what i need to change to make it more easy or logical. Or do you think it is already logical enough?

Cheers,
emcodem