Growing Files not working correctly

Here you can submit bugreports
dklooker

Growing Files not working correctly

Post by dklooker »

Hi,

I am running FFAStrans on a windows 10 Pro machine which is connected to DDP Server via Iscsi protocol. (NTFS/AVFS)

When I place a large file (22GB) in my encoding folder, the workflow starts while file is still copying. The checkbox Growing Files is checked.

When I look at the filesize in windowsexplorer the filesize is not correct, it is 22GB right at the beginning of copyprocess, so I asume this is what FFAStrans is checking and thus encoding starts.

Is the following issue at the source of this problem? https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 00/?p=8813

And what can I do to prevent this behaviour?

Best Regards,
David Klooker
admin
Site Admin

Re: Growing Files not working correctly

Post by admin »

Hi David,

FFAStrans depends on the system to report correct file size. When copying files, depending on the method used, the system will allocate the required space and then starts to fill it with content. So for FFAStrans the file does NOT grow because the system says so, but FFAStrans will also try to access the file. This is normally not allowed on a file being copied but that's not an absolut law, again, depending on how the file is being copied. Also, this can behave different on a server share than on a local disk. So as you can see, this is not an easy task to get 100% foolproof, but I'm constantly on the lookout for more robust ways of doing it. In the mean time, the best way is to copy the file to a location NOT monitored by FFAStrans but is on the same disk/share and THEN move the file to it's destination once the copying is finished. Now, this CAN also be done automatically by FFAStrans with the right workflow. I will come up with one and post here for you to try.

-steinar