Who can help us make a workflow ?

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
evabraonline

Who can help us make a workflow ?

Post by evabraonline »

Hello,

My name is Eric and I'm from the Netherlands.
Besides my "normal" job and private life I'm a volunteer at a small public local radio- and tv-station.

We would like to use FFASTRANS for transcoding (internal and external) produced videofiles to the specifications of our new (outsourced) playout-system.
Our current (own) system worked for several years but had to be replaced because its getting more and more problems and is no longer supported.
Unfortunately the company who will start the playout for us only has experience with Adobe Premiere and is only providing a settingsfile for Premiere (but also a specificationdocument)
Since we are using Sony Vegas we have to find out how to create files with the right specifications.
Also we receive some files from external sources (like a school) which use other softwareprogrammes to edit.
That's why we would like to use a programme like FFASTRANS.

But we are not so experienced with all the settings.
Is there someone who could help us with making a workflow for FFASTRANS ?

What we have in mind:
- FFASTRANS should use a watchfolder (lets say "D:\watchfolder)
- FFASTRANS should transcode all files found in the watchfolder according to the HD-specifications. (See attached jpg-file)
- FFASTRANS should upload all transcoded files to an (external) FTP

I hope someone is willing to help us.

Kind regards,

Eric
Attachments
Transcode Mpeg-Settings-2016.jpg
Transcode Mpeg-Settings-2016.jpg (724.91 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
momocampo

Re: Who can help us make a workflow ?

Post by momocampo »

Hello Eric,

I think it will be quiet simple but need to use custom ffmpeg encoder. Your specific videofile specification can't be directly out from FFAStrans I think.
Here is an example for your HD videofile :
ffmpeg -i <input file> -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 15M -c:a mp2 -b:a 384k <output file>.mpg

So, create a custom ffmpeg node and paste "-c:v mpeg2video -b:v 15M -c:a mp2 -b:a 384k "
uncheck audio codec,video codec and put .mpg extension.
You can check with mediainfo if all specifications are ok(I don't check all).

I suggest to use conditional before encoding to determinate if your input files are SD or HD. If HD, use that I give you, if SD, change birate (-b:v 15M to 8M and -b:a to 256k).

Hope it will help you.

Cheers.

Benjamin

PS: You can tell me what kind of video files you will have in input(SD,HD 4.2.2,4.2.0, always 25fps?), I made a workflow for you but I need to know more details.
evabraonline

Re: Who can help us make a workflow ?

Post by evabraonline »

Hello Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply !

We always have HD, mpeg2, 25 fps as input.
I'm not sure whether it's 4.2.2 or 4.2.0.
If you want I can send you a sample file over wetransfer, if you want that please send me your email in a private message.

Kind regards,

Eric