AVI DV presets

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
mike

AVI DV presets

Post by mike »

Hi. Impressive! I did a few tests and everything was Ok. However I didn't manage to use Custom FFmpeg settings to output AVI DV (or RAW DV file) with A/V Media as decoder. I set audio code to pcm_s16le and video to dvvideo and allways I get "Custom FFmpeg@Home-PC : Invalid file! Coul not process.". I realy don't get it! Also I've noticed that FFAStrans produce an intermediate mkv file. It is absolutely necessary? Maybe running directly ffmpeg will reduce the total transcoding time (from m2ts to avi dv in my case).
Manually I can do that job without any problem with "ffmpeg -i input_file.m2ts -target pal-dv output_file.dv" or "ffmpeg -i input_file.m2ts -c:v dvvideo -c:a pcm_s16le -s 720x576 output_file.avi"

best regards,
Mike
admin
Site Admin

Re: AVI DV presets

Post by admin »

Hi mike and thank you for using FFAStrans!

If you're using the "A/V Decoder" FFAStrans will sometimes make an intermediate file. The reason for this is because FFAStrans will analyse the media and conform it to a set of files readable by the FfmpegSource AviSynth plugin. So yes, sometimes it is necessary but FFAStrans tries to be intelligent about it. Most media does not need to be conformed. You can however try to skip the "A/V Decoder" completely but then you will not be able to use built in filters, which relies on AviSynth.

I assume you are using FFAStrans 0.4.0? In that case, you will notice in the "Custom FFMpeg" encoder a message in the audio part about applying the "Channel Mapper" filter when using the "A/V Decoder". This enables you to reduce the amount of audio channels output by the "A/V Decoder", which normally is 32 channels. Because your custom DV encoder does not handle 32 audio channels it will off course fail.

Hope this sort things out for you but please let me know if it doesn't.

-steipal
mike

Re: AVI DV presets

Post by mike »

Ok, thanks for support.
;)
mike