Delivery node with time attributes

Use this forum to request features. Maybe you'll get lucky!
momocampo

Delivery node with time attributes

Post by momocampo »

Hello Steinar,

Another idea came to me.
Sometimes I have to reintegrate a file from the previous month. If I submit it, it works of course but it keeps his attributes (kind of file and especially creation date and modified date). If you work with sorting by date, you will not see this file.
I think it's possible to add into command executor node : " copy /b outputfile.ext+,," which change the time attribute to present. But not user-friendly, maybe it can add at delivery node ?
It will be useful only for little files because a new copy is needed so big files will take too much time...
Thanks.

Cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Re: Delivery node with time attributes

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,
there are 2 available dates of interest on Windows: "date modified" and "date created".
Date modified is the date when a file was born or really changed in it's content last time.
Date created is the date when a file was copied to the current folder.

Users of media file are typically only interested in the date created because they are looking for the newest files in a certain folder. In Windows explorer, unfortunately by default "date modified" is shown and users need to hide this one and show "date created" instead, then they see the files in the order as you expect it. (except the file was moved to the folder, i believe date changed does not update when moving files in windows)
It is a VERY bad practice to change the date modified of a file without changing it's contents. The default way to re-submit a file from watchfolder is either cut and paste it for 1 minute or so to a different folder or to just rename it.

Are you sure that changing the date modified is your only option to re-submit a file (besides the webinterface ;-))

Cheers,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Re: Delivery node with time attributes

Post by momocampo »

Well well...It's time for me to go back to school...:D
Thank you very much Teacher, it's a shame for me not see the difference between created and modified, argggg...
Seriously, you're totally right and of course I must sort by created date and not modified, so sorry about that.
I think all will be ok now.
Thanks again ;)

;)
B.