AAF processing

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
emcodem

Re: AAF processing

Post by emcodem »

Hey Thomas,
thanks, that is a good tipp as well! ..i am happy about any uploaded aaf example (no media needed) in the link i provided in my first post :-)
Please just make sure to give the file a speaking name, describing what you did to give me a hint in case my (not yet developed) program fails;-)
Cheers!
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi everyone

Transcoding with FFAStra an unrendered sequence doesn't make sens. In AVID you can add many third party effects plugins witch should give multiple incompatibility issues. Before exporting the AAF from AVID, we must render all effects. As you said before, AVID creates a new media file for all rendered effects so I think effects in a sequence is not a big deal in this project.
I have describe for you the AVID AAF setting export windows. It shows that there is a "render all effects" command before exporting the AAF file witch is exactly what we want :)

You can noticed that we have a "Mixdown video / effects to V1" if we want to export only 1 video track sequence but as we have discussed before it's not ideal because Mixdow take a long time and a lots of space on storage.

I don't show here but in the audio tab you have the same thing. I don't know if "volume", "pan" or "gain" are describe in the AAF file. If not we have to mixdown if we don't want to loose premix from the edit.

bye :)
taner

Post by taner »

Hello Harald,

i couldnt see any trouble when importing your aaf into avid.
So for myself i can say that there is need for changing the paths.

Best

Taner
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Thanks for the update Taner, i wondered already why nobody paid attention to that question ;)
Just a little update: i was able to spend some noticeable amount of time on the aaf decoding part and sure it turns out that i have to understand most of the specification but there was some good progress.

At the current state, i am sure that we will need to render all audio effects before the export as well. The best thing i can currently do is to translate the project into a cutlist for ffmpeg. We will see if ffmpeg is able to do this frame accirate or not and after that in some months we could maybe go on and support some transitions and simple audio filters bit i am not sure we ever get there.

@all, please upload more example aaf exports, especially exported with the settings ghatis showed above. But in a later stage of this project, i will need to be able to compare my output with the avid output. So it would be good if you send me aaf sequences that are available for you for multiple weeks/months as well.
In particular i am interested in very complex stuff as well but anything will help!
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi emcodem

I can have a ton of very complex sequence and keep them during all time you want.
Do you need that I keep also the media attached to it ? because it is a little bit more difficult to keep all media during a long period.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

For start it will help a lot to get lots of link aaf files without the need for anyone to keep the media files

But when the first Beta is out, we will need to find a way to verify the result, that means compare the final product of my stuff with the final product of avid...
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@taner @nknuelle
Please check out the download link on my first post of this topic for createaaf.exe and let me know if it works for you. It should be so simple to use that it does not need much description, use createaaf.exe -h to see a description of all parameters.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

@momocampo,

i tried installing a demo of MCP but i had problems because i chose MCP First as option, now i cannot upgrade to the actual demo :-(
Could you please create sequences for me:
Sequence1:
-) just 2 different video (with their audios) clips stacked together, no cut or effect sources OPAtom
-) same with mov source file if possible (where audio and video come from the same file

Sequence2:
-) same as above but cut 10 seconds from start and end of both clips before stacking them together

Thaks a lot!
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hi,
just need precision about sequences :
-) just 2 different video (with their audios) clips stacked together, no cut or effect sources OPAtom
--->Import files or just link? Xdcam codec or DNxHD? Mxf or mov?
-) same with mov source file if possible (where audio and video come from the same file
--->I put these files just after the previous in seq 1? Or it's a new seq ?

Tell me and I do this immediately.

Cheers ,)

B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Great! Thanks a lot!

--->Import files or just link? Xdcam codec or DNxHD? Mxf or mov?
I'd like the most typical setting you would have later in production, if you do both, i need both, import and linked in separate sequence examples. (later on maybe in mixed sequences ;-))
One example where audios and videos are in separate files (e.g. dnxhd in mxf opatom) and once where all files are in one container (if that is possible without AMA link)

--->I put these files just after the previous in seq 1? Or it's a new seq ?
New sequence.