Deciding and rewrapping workflow

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
emcodem

Re: Deciding and rewrapping workflow

Post by emcodem »

I just had a look at some free available aaf file, it contains the informations about filenames of Video and Audio Clips - which we Need in this case here.
The only question is if @janciev has one .aaf for each source .mxf Clip that he wants to merge or his .aaf files do describe a timeline containing possibly even multiple Clips instead of the full Clip.
In case we have one .aaf per source .mxf Clip, i'd Need some samples Clips uplaoded please.

Thanks,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hi emcodem,

Like Ghtais said it will be great to use aaf file instead of video file itself. In this way, we can avoid export a complete video file from Avid for e.g .
Anyway, can you tell us how you open an aaf file because I never succeed to edit one.
I can give you some aaf file if you want, just tell me what kind of aaf file you need (embedded, link, etc).
Thanks ;)

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,

i think for this ticket we would need aaf with links in it. From feeling this topic about resoving aaf files needs a completely new thread as it seems to be a pretty big topic. I'd like to concentrate on the original problem of @Janciev and from the picture he provided i believe processing aaf might not be a solution for him as he only has a "masterclip.aaf" which might be something different than "one aaf per mxf clip" but instead the aaf might contain a whole timeline, linking or containing multiple mxf clips.

Anyway, if you have a short example for linked aaf, can you please share it @momocampo ?

Thanks!
emcodem
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey emcodem,

Ok I understand, keep on the post subject.
About aaf linked, I can give you a file but a linked aaf is reliable only if you have the associated video and audio files accessible on a media drive. I can give you an embedded aaf , in this case the video and audio files are included into aaf.
Anyway, I will share 2 aaf files tomorrow (1 embedded and another linked with its media files folder).
Cheers.

B.
janciev

Post by janciev »

Hi guys,

great input here!

Unfortunately I'm not able to use the AAF as it references the old Avid ISIS paths and not the current files locations, see below AAF and XML for reference. The actual files are too big for the upload and as they have a specific purpose I think that re-exporting those would beat the purpose. Also, the only locations that I can read from the AAF are the ones for the low res media which I discard anyway. So far I'm hoping that BMX is smart enough to sort my audio tracks as they were - will test it through and post with results.

Thanks again!
Igor
Attachments
masterclip.AAF.xml
Please delete xml extension for the AAF file
(173.74 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
masterclip.xml
(145.89 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Great, thanks for the aaf example aaf. And also great that you already have a way to convert it to XML :-)
The full path in the aaf would not really matter for what i am after, i would just take the filenames and assume they are in the same Directory as the aaf file itself (or provide a different path in configurationn) .

But if the aaf only references the lowres AND the lowres files have totally different filenames than the highres sure the aaf is useless.
Afaik the opatom Video file does not contain any Information about the needed Audio files so bmx might not be able to find the Audios automatically.
So we still need a way to find out which Audios and Videos belong together. Does each and every asset have it's own subdirectory in your case?

Let me know the outcome of your remuxing results please :-)
janciev

Post by janciev »

Hi,

still no luck with this.
Another question - can I extract the folder name of the folder containing the clips and put it into the variable? Cannot get my head around it...
I ended up writing a little app that will rewrap the Atoms using BMX which actually knows what is the number of audio track! So made my life a bit easier on this one. Anyhow I need the folder name to pass it further so I could do the actual rewrapping.

Anyone?

Thank you,
Igor
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hi!
cool that you were able to write your own app for this :-) but don't this app also need to find out the names of the matching audio files for a video? Or do you mean that you just provide the video filename to bmx and it is able to automatically find the matching audio files?

Regarding the folder name, there is built in support for parsing folders from a path, just provide the number of folders you want to walk down the path like so ~X

For example:

Code: Select all

%s_original_path~1%
Is this what you like?
janciev

Post by janciev »

Hi @emcodem,

For the app I made i would need to provide only the folder which contains files, all the logic is inside the app itself. FFASTrans would trigger the workflow and provide a nice way of monitoring progress.
I know that FFASTrans is able to read the folder name and pass it on but only if it detects files in the folder - am I correct? So if this is like that I really don't have an option to proceed...
Regarding BMX and A/V matching - in every OPAtom file there's info on which track and channel number it contains so it's important to only present the files from the same "package/asset". Please see attached info on one audio file gathered by mxf2raw.exe.

Thanks for your help and if there's anything that comes to mind please do not hesitate to share!

Igor
Attachments
track7.txt
(8.49 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

I see, so you actually parse the package id from all files in the folder and this is how you find the matching audios.
I don't see any issue starting an ffastrans job using a foldername as input but it has to be done using API. You can test and use this using my webinterface for example. The question is what do you want to do? How many folders do you have to process? Are there only existing folders you need to process or you also want to do new ones?