LOUDNESS VOLUME CONTROL

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
backlight

LOUDNESS VOLUME CONTROL

Post by backlight »

Hi to all,
i'm going mad with the normalization.

I need the simple work flow to reach a XDCAM file with EBU-R128 normalizated audio.

FILE->LOUDNESS->XDCAM->DELIVERY

I have added the loudness node before de xdcam enncoding node, i have turned on the control volume to -23. The problem is that i can't select the TABLE in the xdcam node and all the parameters in the lodness node remain unselectable!

What i'm doing wrong?

L
emcodem

Re: LOUDNESS VOLUME CONTROL

Post by emcodem »

Hey backlight,
there seems to be a bug in ffastrans 0.9.4 which makes the "first" user variable in the list of user variables not showing up in all the selection dropdowns.I think you should succeed by just creating an additional user variable. All other than the "first" variable should show up normally

cheers,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@emcodem, the bug is not present in general. As far as I know it was just the "HTTP Communicate" node but if you can confirm this bug elsewhere you let me know ;-)

@backlight, are you sure you have created a user variable that the loudness information can be stored and reused in the encoder?

-steinar
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey steinar, sure i tested if that bug also applies here and is looks like it does. backlight might be able to confirm...
backlight

Post by backlight »

@backlight, are you sure you have created a user variable that the loudness information can be stored and reused in the encoder?
NO, I don't know how to do this!!
can you help me?
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

1. click any of the fat < symbols in the loudness processor
2. in the "Select Variable" Window, rightclick and hit-> new
3. in the "Set user variable/static window, enter a name for the variable you want to create. On the right side, make sure the type is "String"
4. hit ok and close the Select variable window
5. in the loudness processor dropdown you can now select your created variable
6. if you want to apply loudness correction later on in an encoder processor, open the encoding processor, check the "conform volume to" box and select the variable from above in the dropdown.
ffastrans_vars_.png
ffastrans_vars_.png (44 KiB) Viewed 9320 times
@steinar, you are right about the "first variable" bug don't apply here, i got confused by the dropdown showing string only variables... sorry for that ;-)
backlight

Post by backlight »

Ok perfect.... but for the other parameters? (SET REAL PEAKS, THERESHOLD ecc) in order to reach the perfect loudness?

I can leave it blank?

L
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

There is no "perfect loudness", using loudness correction, one just fullfills the Standards that is required by the customer who receives the final file.

E.g. for normalizing using a single encode node, you only can utilize one of the values coming out of the loudness analyzer. Depending on your requirements you have to use this or that Output from the loudness meter.

To get further help on that topic, you'd need to specify the exact requirements document of your target customer.
backlight

Post by backlight »

Hi jordan,
i need to have this result as standard R128 EBU loudness

Target -23 LUFS
Max True Peak level: -1dBTP
True Peak Limiting
Look-Ahead Time: 12ms
Release Time: 200ms
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hm, not sure if you can set both, true peak and loudness in one shot, need to call @steinar for help :-)

cheers!