speed issue with new 0.9.4 FFAStrans version

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
Ghtais

speed issue with new 0.9.4 FFAStrans version

Post by Ghtais »

Hi all :)

Today I have tried the new version of FFAStrans 0.9.4 and I noticed that the transcoding speed of this version is lower than with the 0.9.3.2
Of course it's the same computer, same file (QTref), same workflow (H264), single process.
With the 0.9.3.2 speed is 1.7x (32% of CPU usage) and with the 0.9.4 for the same file, speed is 0.9x (23% of CPU usage).
CPU usage in the configuration menu is setup at the same level (85%).

Strange isn't it :?:
Does anyone experience the same thing ?
admin
Site Admin

Re: speed issue with new 0.9.4 FFAStrans version

Post by admin »

Hi Ghtais,

As you may know, FFAStrans rely on third party codecs in order to to the decoding and encoding. So FFAStrans itself should influence encoding speed. If you have more than one workflow, does all exhibit the same behavor?

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi Steinar

thank you for your reply. I noticed that the ffmpeg release is different between 0.9.3 and 0.9.4. I have to investigated in that way and I will keep you inform.

bye
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have tried both versions and I can not see any notable difference in encoding speed. But I have not tried QT-refs yet. It might be the one causing the issue.

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Here is some news for this issue
I have tried to swap FFmpeg.exe and Qtsource.dll from the old version with no luck.
each file reach his maximum encoding speed at 0.9x instead of 1.7x for the 0.9.3.
too bad because I love the ETA in the status monitor and the manager to the tray icon ...
I will have to rollback to 0.9.3 ;(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ghtais,

Can you please try again but now you set the the "Interlaced input" to whatever you exepct your source to be, or set to "Analyze". I think dealing with interlacing is the one that cause the problems and I suspect your material is progressive?

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Ok Steinar I found the issue !!!
after trying your suggestion it didn't changed anything but it gave me the idea of looking each parameters of each node of my workflow to see if everything is ok but it was not. The color parameters in the avisynth node (For QTRef) was set to RGB24...
I was surprised because I had copied every files that describe workflow from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 folder.
Anyway, now everything is ok, same speed as the 0.9.3 version and I can enjoy the new futures :)

One more time, thank you for your time Steinar, it's a real pleasure to work with your tool.

Best regards
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey Ghtais,
Good to hear you solve your problem. A little parameter can change a lot of things and we don't always check enough our old parameters (me first...).
Cheers.
Benjamin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's great Ghtais although I have found an anomaly when dealing with AviSynth scripts and some media properties which are not properly reported. This leads to wrong video processing which can cause a slowdown under certain circumstances. I'm trying to resolve it and hopefully it will be a part of the next patch release.

-steinar
Ghtais

Post by Ghtais »

Hi steinar

Perhaps you will find why I have colors issues encoding a QTRef file with AVCintra processor. It seems that the space color is not the right one.
bye