2 pass h264 encode for size limit

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
momocampo

Re: 2 pass h264 encode for size limit

Post by momocampo »

Hello,

Again Bingo emcodem, it works. That's because you don't work on windows system is it? You work on Linux?
More, your first command line is "cd "%s_working_directory%" but maybe I need to create this "working directory" before go inside, no? So I added :
" md c:\temp" before the "cd" command and it's better.
BUT (of course...) If I submit a second time, I have "folder already exists". I don't know if a overwrite command is possible with md or mkdir, not find.
Not important, I will use it like you wrote it, without create directory and it will ok.

Thanks for all emcodem ;)
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey, great! i am very happy that you obviously already understood how to add more commands to the chain :-) The more you understand About DOS commands, the more mighty you are using ffastrans…

Regarding your mkdir (or md), the Problem is when the dir exists, it causes an error and the other commands are not executed. To Workaround you Need to catch this error, e.g. instead of just writing [md "%Directory%"]

Code: Select all

(if not exist "test1" (md "test1"))
I really hope we have more such conversations in future, the more time you spend with this the more mighty you become. Then it will be easy for you to get out why a certain ffmeg cmd works on commandline but not in ffastrans.

By the way, sure i am not working on linux using ffastrans ;-) I was under the impression that ffmpeg has special support for the term "/dev/null" but obviously it don't so i really don't know why /dev/null works on my machines.

cheers!
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem,

Sorry for the big late. Thanks for the help, I think it will be ok now :)
About our future conversations, it will be a real pleasure for sure !
Thanks again and cheers.

Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Ha! i just learned why /dev/null worked for me (on Windows!) - it is because on any Workstation i work on, the Folder c:\dev exists (it is my development Folder). I just found that there is a file called "null" in this Folder, so obviously ffmpeg was assuming that / is for c:\ and so it just wrote the Output of the first pass to the file c:\dev\null instead of discarding it....

cheers!
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Héhé it is logical indeed, and understand why I can't use dev/null.
Thanks for the explanation, always useful.

Cheers.

B.