Webinterface

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Webinterface available

Post by admin »

The logging is undergoing a major upgrade so things WILL be better in time :-)

-steinar
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

emcodem wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:03 pm Hey Benjamin,

great that you finally got over the permission issues, congrats! ...i am pretty confident that you get your McAffee configured as you desire too. Be aware that only HIPS (Host intrusion prevention) from McAffee is able to block network access but the antivirus only will not do that. Are you sure HIPS is enabled on your servers? ..anyway, i guess your mates @work are able to help you getting rid of this situation.

By the way, thanks for your likes regarding 0.9.3, i think this is a good design now and it might most likely look like this for a long time. Subpages might change but not the top bar showing number of workflows and left menu bar.

Regarding your problem with the logs, i will add this to my first post but i cannot add more than 1 graphics there so this is how you enable workflow logging: in ffastrans workflow manager, right-click a workflow->Properties->Special->log to files. I asked @steinar to enable wf logging by default, it is the only known to me way to get a pretty complete log of a job.

ffas_wflog.png

Please let me know any problems that you might encounter and keep on your good work in this forum!

Cheers!
emcodem
Thanks emcodem, yes it works after enable the log in configuration, well done!
About HIPS I don't know, I must check but I tried at home and I don't succeed too :( I have to investigate again .
Cheers.
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

admin wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:25 pm The logging is undergoing a major upgrade so things WILL be better in time :-)

-steinar
Hi Steinar,

Ok no problem, the log is really a "bonus" feature" for me. It's because i'm too curious i'm afraid or too impatient...Maybe both :lol:

Cheers ;)

B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

momocampo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 pm I have to investigate again .
Hey Benjamin,

i tried to find a tutorial about checking why a port is not accessible from outside but didn't find anything, so let me try to summarize what i would do for a simple client->server communication:

There are at least 2 different problematic spots:
1) firewall
2) name resolution

The first thing you want to do is to make it work "somehow", so disable firewall and use Server IP instead of hostname.
Here is a list of steps:
1) can you ping the server IP from client
2) if yes, firewall allows ping protocol or firwall is off. If no, disable firewall.
3) can you open webinterface on server using the ip of the server (not localhost)
4) can you open webinterface on client using server IP (if no, firwall is on, turn it off)
5) can you open webinterface on client userin server NAME (if no, name resolution is faulty, use ping to debug)

let me know where you end up :-)

cheers,
emcodem
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem,

Really good explanation so I succeeded ! :) :) I'm really happy now but, necessarily, I have a last thing to set :
I have to access to an external server. I have the IP but I need the log and the pass to enter. In windows explorer, the first time I try to enter I log, password and memorize log & password.
Is it a way to enter and keep login credentials for an external server?

Really sorry to ask so many but I want so much to use this great webinterface!!

Thanks a lot
Cheers.

B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Congrats! :-)
Regarding your server access and store credentials, what are you trying to do? Is this anyhow connected to the webinterface or ffastrans running as a service? ..Remembering credentials can be done but only for "logged in users", not for programs that run as a service.

If i guess right and you are trying to access a SMB share on the server, e.g. you type \\server\share into windows explorer and you want windows to remember the credentials for the next time, you can use the "map network drive" in windows explorer and check the "remember credentials" checkbox. But as said, this is only interesting for a logged in user an the programs he opens and runs in his active session...

let me know...
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hey emcodem,
I think you're right, I want to access to an external server with an ip \\192.168.x.x\
If I understand well what you said, I will not be able to access to my external server from the webinterface. Yes I can map this external server and give it to him a letter but if I set this letter in Webinterface config path, it doesn't work.
So to resume, nobody can access to this server from webinterface even with administrator rights? Damn, I hope I don't understand :)
Thanks ;)

B.

PS: I found a bug I think, when you upload file and you want to download it, no way = error.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Sure no problem, you can access any UNC share from a windows service, i thought you already managed that?

Just make sure that on the server and on the client, the same user with the same password exists and follow the list i sent before, especially this point:
emcodem wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 pm -) Log on with this user to the server and make sure, when you enter the path to the files in windows explorer, there is no popup asking for user credentials. Do not map network drives, this is of no use at all.
Note, actually you should log on with the same user to the server and to the client and try to open the UNC path as described above. Make sure it opens without asking for credentials.

This should not be a big problem, just get rid of the concept of network drives and make sure you are not prompted for password when trying to access the share of interest after windows login. I know this is a little confusing: windows stores credentials for servers the first time you enter them, so you might need to log off and on multiple times for testing if access to the UNC share works without password promting. As soon as it works, you can use these credentials also for windows services accessing the share.

P.S. downloading files is not foreseen in the program, you should not even see a button for it ;-)
Last edited by emcodem on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello emcodem,

Again I succeed thank to you ;). I really appreciate all your help, I am now ready to prepare a good configuration, all seems to work :)
Anyway, I have just little things to ask you about this famous webinterface :
- Maybe a possibility to save the "aspect" of webinterface after we have move the windows like we want : Useful to avoid replace the windows each time we log in.
- Maybe a new column in browse window to sort by modified date or/and creation date.
- Maybe a possibility to sort workflows by folder ( In FFastrans I have several folders with workflows inside, I wonder if it can be like that in webinterface. easier to select the good workflow in webinterface).

Be sure it's just to help but maybe it's really too complicate to change or maybe it's just not clever to change. I suggest because it will be useful for me but I'm not alone :)

Thank for all my friend !

Cheers.
Benjamin
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Hey Benjamin,
super, congrats that you finally got it done :-) I hope you have now more insight in how windows services and authentification works ;-)

About your requests, i have understood all of them well and sure i thought about all of it already.
Just one re-quest: regarding what you call "aspect" of the UI, can you specify what exact items would be of most value for you
Here a list of possible additional features that i already thought of:

Job View store/restore:
-) layout height (running/finished)
-) grid column width

File submission layout store/restore:
-) layout width (file browser/workflow selection)
-) layout height (selected files grid/workflow selection)
-) last selected workflow

File submission features:
-) create a custom "favourites" store where user can store his favourite folders
-) rework file upload, support very large files and maximize upload speed, also allow to resume uploads
-) select workflow before upload and start workflow automatically when upload is finished

User Permissions features:
-) filter the worfklows a user can select

Or anything else (besides the things you already mentioned)?
You'll have to know that all of this is not yet implemented because it is probelmatic and needs special case testing and error resolving.
I would probably have implemented all of the mentioned things at some time anyway but as you ask, you now have the chance to prioritize things by just telling me what's most useful for you.

cheers,
emcodem