RE: How to add closed caption subtitles to a .MXF file

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
JohnB1

RE: How to add closed caption subtitles to a .MXF file

Post by JohnB1 »

Hi,

I want to add an SRT file to a VANC, which is contained in an MXF wrapper. Also, want to make sure that the subtitles have its own PID.

I went through the options on FFastrans, and couldn't find anything to do with subtitles.

Can FFMPEG do the job?

The workflow that I have created looks like this:

Folder --> A/V Media -- > XDCAM -HD --> Folder

Can someone please assist me?

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: RE: How to add closed caption subtitles to a .MXF file

Post by admin »

Hi JohnB1 and sorry for the late reply.

FFAStrans have no inbuilt support for SRT-files. Also, I have limited expertise with the use of subtitles in ffmpeg so you need to search the web for help unless there are people in this forum with the expertise.

BTW: You usually do not need the "A/V Media"-decoder if you're not adding filters.

-steinar
FranceBB

Re: RE: How to add closed caption subtitles to a .MXF file

Post by FranceBB »

@JohnB1... I think that, according to specs, subtitles file in .mxf should be .890 for HD and FULL HD files and .stl for SD files. I'm not sure ffmpeg will allow you to mux a non-standard subtitle file in the mxf container.
You could try something like:

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mxf -f srt -i input.srt -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 1:0 -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s srt output.mxf

But I'm like 90% sure it won't let you mux subs 'cause they are not compatible. If you want to render subtitles instead (hardsub), then you can do that via ffmpeg using libass "-vf ass=subtitles.srt" or via Avisynth using TextSub("subtitles.srt").