FFastrans and W10

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
Manjik

FFastrans and W10

Post by Manjik »

HI,
I'm another question :)
I try to use FFSTRANS with Windows 10 from 2 days.
My first problem, when i uncompress the archive and the last patch, Windows defender tells me there is a trojan.

my second problem, when I disable windows defender to try, ffastrans is starting well but when i submit a file to a workflow, nothing is happening (with a source folder, same problem)

I don't understand why

i try on 2 pc in windows 10, without Antivirus and widows defender disable, same problem.
In Windows 7, no problem

i see nothing in log
Thanks for your help.
Manjik

Re: FFastrans and W10

Post by Manjik »

Sorry for all
i forgot to enable the local workflow processing as application.
for the trojan, when i use my own antivirus, it's OK (because it disable defender)

Sorry for my post
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

Hi,

I had the same issue.

Your second problem will be that the processors.exe is not present due to the antivirus-detection and is deleted by win10.

for both problems:
You have to make an exception in the windows defender-settings. Make an exception for your ffastrans-Folder. then copy and decompress the ffastrans.x.x.x.zip into this folder. then there will be no more warning and processors.exe will be present.

tom
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad you sorted it out. I'm sorry for all the trouble with the false AV positives. It's due to the language FFAStrans is written in. It's very easy to create f.ex. key-sniffers and many people have done this. So that's one of the reasons why so many AutoIt-compiled programs are flagged as suspicious by AVs.

Sorry for your troubles!

-steinar
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

I've sent FFAStrans to Symantec and Avast for threat review.
They are probably gonna review it, test it, find out that it doens't harm anyone and flag is as false-positive soon.
I'm gonna send it to Microsoft as well as soon as I have time.
I don't wanna see FFAStrans taken away by antivirus.

(I know that it's easy to create exceptions, but just think about people that use it at work, in a company, in an environment in which they can't just add an exception because it's the IT that has to do it, so they have to convince them that the program doesn't harm anyone, so they wanna see the code, but the code is not available yet and it becomes a mess, that's why I'm sending it to various antivirus companies to show them that it doesn't harm anyone. :D)
FranceBB

Post by FranceBB »

The Avast team replied; FFAStrans is officially no longer reported as virus.
As to Symantec, they still have to deploy the exception, but they'll no longer report it as virus.
adcprod

Post by adcprod »

Another way to deal with this is to sign the code (if possible). That usually helps.