[SOLVED] CommandExecutorNode: Turn Off "Timeout In Minutes"?

Questions and answers on how to get the most out of FFAStrans
ThomasM
Site Admin

[SOLVED] CommandExecutorNode: Turn Off "Timeout In Minutes"?

Post by ThomasM »

Hi there,

just one question as it is not described clearly and I cannot see how it works.

As I have many files which are very big (e.g. 150GB per file) and I have to copy them via Ethernet to a destination-Folder it would be helpful to turn-off the option "Set Timeout In Minutes" completely. I tried to unmark the "Set To Error If Timeout"-Checkbox, but if the timeout-default is reached (120 Minutes) the job ends with Timeout-Message in FFAStrans-Monitor. I think, this behaviour is quite normal and intended.

So, is there an option to turn this function off? Or is there a workaround (e.g. Setting to "0" will disable this function)? Or do I just have to populate the Minutes-Box with 600 Minutes or such? I did so for now in all CustomNodes.

Maybe a hint in the Wiki and / or in the Help would be clearing things up...

regards,
tom
Last edited by ThomasM on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emcodem

Re: CommandExecutorNode: Turn Off "Timeout In Minutes"?

Post by emcodem »

Hey Thomas,

It can always happen that something unexpected happens while a node is executing which makes the need for a timeout mandatory. There is no way to "disable" the timeout but you can set it to any high value that you wish, e.g. for very slow processing i use values like 70000.
@momocampo might be able to think about if, how and where we could document the timeout in the wiki?
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello guys,

Yes, it is a very interesting point. I have noted it on my future wiki update :) The strange thing for me is what is the useful of this checkbox(Set To Error If Timeout) if it does work??? Must see that with Steinar...
By the way, I think you remember @Encodem that we have to create something quite detailed with this dear "command executor" -node. This timeout will be for sure explain as good as possible :)

Cheers.

B.
emcodem

Post by emcodem »

Oh, the timeout is only configureable in the commandline proc, then it is easy to document :-)
The checkbox makes the workflow go the error path in case the timeout happened ;-)
emcodem, wrapping since 2009 you got the rhyme?
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

I understand well what timeout is :) But we could assume if we uncheck this checkbox, there is no timeout.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi guys,

This is by design. As @emcodem points out, the checkbox is only for setting the error state in case of timeout. In order to completely disable timeout you just set it to 0 (zero) and FFAStrans will skip all timeout functionality in the node.

-steinar
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

Hey all,

Thanks for the input. So to sum it up:

1. Default setting ist 120 Minutes and Checkbox "Set To Error If Timeout" is checked. Behaviour: After 120 Minutes on working or waiting on this node to finish, FFAStrans will set the status to "Error". Following nodes set to "Execute On Error" will start. Following nodes set to "Execute On Success" will not start and the workflow will end with a Timeout-message in the Monitor.

2. To just end the workflow after Timeout, uncheck "Set To Error If Timeout". Behaviour: After 120 Minutes on working or waiting on this node to finish, the workflow will end with a Timeout-message in the Monitor. Following nodes will not start.

3. To disable TimeoutOption set the Timeout to "0" [ZERO] and uncheck "Set To Error If Timeout".

Did I get the point?

thanks and regards,
tom
momocampo

Post by momocampo »

Hello Thomas,

That's I added on the wiki 2 days ago( processor nodes-Command executor).
About the point 3, doesn't matter if you check or not the "set to error if timeout" because there is no timeout so...:)
See you soon ;)

Benjamin
ThomasM
Site Admin

Post by ThomasM »

@Benjamin,

ah - great!

à bientôt

Thomas